Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New steel for this fall

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have always wanted to try these but I’m nuts deep into Palmer 4 blades that I really like

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
I shot the Sharks for a while last night. They continue to fly great and penetrate like crazy (while dull) in my 18 in 1.

I dove into trying to sharpen the practice head last night after everyone else went to bed. I used a Stay Sharp Version C coupled with sandpaper ranging from 220 to 1500 grit. I did not get to a wooden dowel with buffing compound last night, I was falling asleep at the wheel.

I also lightly pulled them over the Rada coupled with the sandpaper sequence, and it's pretty darn dangerous.

My Simmons Landsharks came in the mail today!
😎
Gotta do a little "buffing" on the edges to get them hunting sharp. Otherwise, I'm anxiously awaiting the Archery Deer Season opener, on September 25th.
💯
After watching more YouTube videos, I couldn't hold out any longer and ordered a set. 😁

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Landshark 135.jpg
    Landshark 135.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 124

Creamer

Athens
Because I couldn't resist the easier sharpening process (in my opinion) with single bevels, I bought a couple of packs of cheap Zwickey No Mercy heads. I may end up shooting these with the Black Hunter and the Sharks with the Stalker. Footed Shaft only had the glue on version, so I'll have to glue these onto adapters. I took to sharpening one last night. Let me tell you, butter knives come sharper than these things do. It took some serious effort to get the new bevel cut all the way through, but once it did, look out.

I hit the one last night with the 300 grit diamond, followed by the 1000 grit diamond, then two levels of leather strop. Sharpened on the bottom, factory round edge on top.

Creamer

Athens
I drug out some sharpy points to shoot out of the 45lb Sage Elite limbs today.

To be honest, they all shot well. I'm probably going to pick up another pack of Magnus Stingers because they shot really well and I'm comfortable sharpening them. Those dang Sharks shot well, and if I can solve the sharpening puzzle with them, I would love to shoot a deer with one. What had me uncomfortable with them today was an arrow length issue. With the Sharks, I lose a little arrow length/clearance because of the way they are made, and my arrows aren't currently cut with much extra length. I'm worried that a little over-zealous draw could end up un-nocking an arrow at a bad and dangerous time.

My tune is good and I don't want to screw with that. I have some Cutthroats and Woodsman heads leftover from previous years, so they may get called to action, but I'm thinking I'll carry Stingers into the woods first this fall.

It's good to have working options, I guess.