Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New tabs

Creamer

Athens
The tab I have been shooting is a cordovan Black Widow. It's been used for about 3 years. The cordovan still looks fine but the rest of the leather on the tab is starting to crack badly and stitching come out. It wasn't going to last forever, so I was shopping for a new tab. I swear I only paid about $25 for that Widow tab 3 years ago, now they're over $40. I was willing to try something different, so I took a gamble and tried the Ginger Ninja synthetic surface 3-under tabs. The face is a ballistic nylon material, supposed to be as good as cordovan. So far, I am very impressed. They fit my hand really well and I've shot great with them for the first few days of ownership. Made in WV.

Creamer

Athens
Does the nylon mean the tab doesn’t need broken in?
I shoot an omnivore it takes quite a few shots before it is broken in.
I have never worn one out because I tend to lose them first☹️

It hasn't needed any break in period for me, it has been awesome. I was basically deciding between an Omnivore and Ginger Ninja when I ordered. I leaned this way because I was hoping the synthetic material facing and body would last a little longer than something with a lot of leather. Time will tell, but so far I'm really pleased with these.

I'm interested in the surface material of that Ginger Ninja tab too. :unsure: I may order one and see how if feels.
My biggest problem is how thin some of the tab materials are, as I tend to like a thicker tab. I've had a couple of the Safari Tuff tabs and have had to add another layer of leather to them. I don't mind undoing the stitching and resewing it. :) I have some Wilson football leather that has worked out great for the tabs that I use....for adding layers. The leather backing doesn't wear well and I usually rub some bees wax into the leather to make it slick and last longer. (y) However, that process becomes a maintenance issue. :rolleyes:

I recently purchased an Omnivore tab and like the shooting surface, but had to add a layer of Wilson football leather to the finger side. Then I resewed it with sinew. Love how slick/smooth the shooting surface is and how it shoots. :cool:
Tab 9 Omnivore.jpg

Reactions: Creamer
My Ginger Ninja tab arrived today. (y)
First thing I did was add a piece of Wilson football leather to it, to make it a little thicker for my own shooting comfort. :) I shot it with my ILF recurve for a while, in my backyard and really like how the slick, but not slippery the shooting surface is on this tab. The material is pliable enough to allow for a good hold on the string, yet it's very slick, which makes for a clean release. :cool:
Tab 11 Ginger Ninja.jpg

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
My Ginger Ninja tab arrived today. (y)
First thing I did was add a piece of Wilson football leather to it, to make it a little thicker for my own shooting comfort. :) I shot it with my ILF recurve for a while, in my backyard and really like how the slick, but not slippery the shooting surface is on this tab. The material is pliable enough to allow for a good hold on the string, yet it's very slick, which makes for a clean release. :cool:
View attachment 196725

Comfort is unique to all of us, obviously. I was surprised that, even though the tab material seems really thin to me, it was super comfortable. I have a few of the "superleather" Widow tabs from before I switched to cordovan, and I thought the Ginger Ninja was physically thinner than the old Widow tabs but every bit as cushioned.

Hope it works out well for you, I've been shooting really well with mine!

Reactions: Bowhunter57
I picked up a piece of finished leather from JoAnn Fabrics and sewed it on the face of a tab that I had built, that has 3 layers. A soft chamois leather, a Wilson football piece (middle) and this finished piece of leather. The surface seems very slick, but the question will be "how long will it last?" after a several shots. :unsure: I put about 20+ shots across it this evening and so far so good. (y)
I bought a leather punch tool, while I was there. Wow! This thing makes the job 10x easier. :cool:

Tab 10 Finished Leather.jpg