Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New to crossbows

wv67

Well due to shoulder problems I'm thinking of trying a crossbow ,I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money to start out incase I don't care for it , 600 or less I guess my question is how are the wicked ridge , pse fang 350 model and center point crossbows .. and if you could steer me in a good direction for a decent crossbow in that price range ... Thanks

BCamp

Dayton
I've got the wicked ridge invader hp and it's a tack driver, the new g3 version I believe is a little faster and less draw weight. Best thing is the Tenpoint customer service in my book. Very happy with mine.

wv67

I e been looking at the wicked ridge made by ten point I think hearing and reading good things , I've heard stay away from Barnett , and just seen another called killer instinct , I appreciate the feed back I know nothing about crossbows , I did buy my daughter one last year

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bought my son an Excalibur. Simple. Accurate. Fairly priced. We are plenty happy with it. I may end up using it this year if my elbow doesn't get better. Again, I'll point you towards Xbowguy, Rick. He knows his stuff.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I am far from a Barnett fan. (That's as nice as I can be about it) Craigslist is plum full of used Barnett crossbows, that should tell it all. Tenpoints warranty and customer service is Excellent! The Wicked Ridge Models are exceptional in their price range. Only thing they are lacking is blazing speed. I have gotten 2 reports from our members who have shot or own a Centerpoint crossbow. They both say the bow is a dead-nut shooter. 40 and 50 yard shots are on the money. Their warranty is only 5 years but that is not bad for a bow under 300. They also shoot up to 370 fps. (229.00 w/free shipping currently on ebay) Equally in the speed department is The Killer Instinct 370. I have one, Dave Giles bought one and Mao bought one for his daughter (His is the Machine 380 model I believe) All reports came in good for the KI brand.
With shoulder problems, I would say you are gonna like the crossbow. (Beats the shit out of not hunting!) If I were you, I would try the Centerpoint first. If you decide to upgrade or go back to a compound, you should get 200. of your money back next year without a problem! If you do order it, do it fast as they are Moving Quick! Hope this helps out. Make sure you let us know what you do get and how you like it. Good Luck!

wv67

Thank all of you for your help , and I will post pics of what I get and let all know how it is thanks again

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I bought my son an Excalibur. Simple. Accurate. Fairly priced. We are plenty happy with it. I may end up using it this year if my elbow doesn't get better. Again, I'll point you towards Xbowguy, Rick. He knows his stuff.

I bought my wife "her" excalibur cross bow lol!!!! I use it and my compound. It is very durable, simple, and deadly accurate!!! It is a bow that you will buy and never have to worry about again! I plan on keeping it around for a long time! I can do most of the work on it with out a press and as stated earlier it is simple enough that I can take it apart and make repairs if I need to!

I known a guy who is awesome, has a great website, prices and is easy to get a hold of and he has already repaired some of my arrows free of charge just by shipping them back to him!

Wyverncreations.com

They have a ton of cross bows to choose from and custom bolts for each brand!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I bought my wife "her" excalibur cross bow lol!!!! I use it and my compound. It is very durable, simple, and deadly accurate!!! It is a bow that you will buy and never have to worry about again! I plan on keeping it around for a long time! I can do most of the work on it with out a press and as stated earlier it is simple enough that I can take it apart and make repairs if I need to!

I known a guy who is awesome, has a great website, prices and is easy to get a hold of and he has already repaired some of my arrows free of charge just by shipping them back to him!

Wyverncreations.com

They have a ton of cross bows to choose from and custom bolts for each brand!

Dave is a real good guy. His wife is super as well! Talk with him on occasion in the off season. Tell him the 2 guys from Newark Ohio (Rick and Rusty) said Hey!

My personal opinion is if you are new to crossbows then stick to the 2 companies that have the best customer service. That would be Excalibur and Tenpoint. Both are great companies that stand behind their product. Also as a sidenote Wicked Ridge is made by Tenpoint so I also recommend them.

Also Wyvern Creations (Dave) is a great guy to deal with.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Crazy that a guy from NH can have such a great reputation in Ohio! BUT when you put the customers first and provide a quality product and service, that alone does all the talking! Some of the bigger companies should take note!

tpierce

I have an Excalibur Matrix 355. Been a great crossbow. It's been dry-fired twice, and fallen out of a tree once. It's dead nuts accurate, and I can change the string myself in the field if necessary. Dave at Wyvern's is the guy to buy from. He also makes premium bolts for the crossbows he sells.

wv67

Well after the advise I got I'm going with the centerpoint sniper 370 after I get it sighted and shot a few more times I will let ya know what I think

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Well after the advise I got I'm going with the centerpoint sniper 370 after I get it sighted and shot a few more times I will let ya know what I think

Looking forwards to your opinion. Many I hear like the bow. They say it's fast. Biggest complaint is the 5 year warranty and the longer creep in the trigger. (If your not a trigger Nazi it won't matter much). I damn near bought one just to shoot it. Would like to run into one I could shoot soon.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I love it. I could break arrows if I wanted to. We'll see how durable they are going forward.