Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Night ice fishing?

I've been considering doing some night fishing. Nothing too late into the night, but by the time I get off work and get out on the lake, I've got about an hour to an hour and a half to fish. :smiley_depressive:

It seems like after sunset the fish shut down. However, I've been reading about night fishing on some of the ice fishing forums and they're saying that the fishing picks back up, shortly after sunset.

I'd have to purchase a lantern, which would add to the heat in the shanty and that's always a good thing. :smiley_bril:

Has anyone done any night ice fishing?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've done a little fishing in the dark, but not a whole bunch. I haven't yet stayed out late enough to get into a second bite after the sun goes down. I can say that I'm not a big fan of the lantern in my shanty, though. For me, it's just too damn bright. I bought a $7 hanging tent light at walmart and it is awesome for fishing in the dark. It's got LEDs which seem to provide just the right amount of ambient light in the shanty. If I need more light to tie something up, I turn on my headlamp. Just my preference... I like it somewhat dark in the shanty so I can see the screen on my underwater camera. I could see how fishing with a bobber or spring bobber may require more lighting in the shanty, though.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Would light on top of the ice at night help to illuminate your bait down below? Would the light attract fish somewhat? This fishing at night sounds interesting.......I might give it a try. Can you expect to catch bluegills in the dark or just predatory fish like crappie and walleye?

my three fishing trips have been late evening untill 3 or 4 in the morning , we use a gas lantern set near our holes , it attracts the bait fish to our area , but make sure you got venting to let fumes out, usually we catch crappie ,saugeye ,walleye , and cats after dark once in awhile they will get a bass or two after dark, my buddys will tear the crappie up after dark

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I can't think of anytime I have done well on panfish after dark. Walleye can really turn on after dark. Brest Bay in Monroe, Mich. is almost exclusively a night bite. If the fish are there we get them at dusk and then agian an hour or two after dark. We have also done good off Camp Perry after dark. The only other place I have put in any serious time night fishing was for trout in Canada. I fished almost all night (till 4am) and marked plenty of fish on the Vex but could not get a hook up.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
ice erie 027.jpg

These were all caught after dark:smiley_coolpeace: