Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No hunting this weekend

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got the ol' KTM out of the barn tonight. Hopefully we can get our work done tomorrow to the point where my foreman can handle the rest on Friday solo. Been waiting for my wife to finish her schooling to go riding again. I have been riding dirt bikes since I was seven. 28 freakin' years! Sucked the last 2-3 years not riding. Just had to keep my nose to the grindstone and make sure we were paying the bills while she was in school.

Well, the ol' girl fired up on the second kick. Not too shabby! Had to bleed the front brake as it had somehow lost it's magic. Oil changed, checked air filter, and got front brakes again. Heading off to the Hatfield McCoy trail system with the guys this weekend! Cooler will be sporting a gallon of Apple Pie along with the Bud Light and Crown. Hell, I am not so sure I care if we ride at all. A weekend away is just what I need about now. Hope to come back refreshed, spend a couple days getting caught up on work, and hit the hunting hard next week!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am bidding on a new quad right now. Maybe one day we all could get together for a camping/riding/ chattin/drinkin/good time overall event.

Have fun Phil!

Beentown

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
Have fun out there Phil!

Not sure your cooler contents go good with riding but it sounds like you have enough trails under your tires to make that call.

My quad is an 80's Moto4. It's older than the girls at the rehab center!;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No sir badger. Nothing but Gatorade or water during the day buddy. I look at it like hunting. No drinking and dirt biking. No drinking and weapons. Not my style. Don't want to see how good (or bad) my disability insurance or life insurance policies are.:p

badger

*Supporting Member*
No sir badger. Nothing but Gatorade or water during the day buddy. I look at it like hunting. No drinking and dirt biking. No drinking and weapons. Not my style. Don't want to see how good (or bad) my disability insurance or life insurance policies are.:p

Good to hear Phil! Have fun and watch for the other drunks then!:smiley_crazy:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Hicks - you could kill two birds with one stone....just hit a deer with your 4 wheeler! Motorsport and deerhunt at the same time. Double the pleasure, double the fun.

I'm totally kidding of course

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang Dannman, I don't ride a stinkin' quad unless I am working (or scouting). It is a dirt bike. Just got back in town. Put on around 175 miles in two and a half days. Friggin' awesome riding. Kicked up a nice 140-150 class buck while riding too. West Virginia? Must have been the biggest deer in the state. haha Awesome weekend. Saw over 40 road kills on the way home. Total carnage on the highways. Buddies told me the bucks are starting to chase pretty hard right now. Need to catch up on sleep and work and get out there. Will post some riding pictures later. Thanks guys! Phil

Last edited:

rrr

Kicked up a nice 140-150 class buck while riding too. West Virginia? Must have been the biggest deer in the state.

Don't make me look up a mountineer quote.

"we gotz buck deerz dwon here but I realy like TOO hunt ohio. yall got some grate pubic deerz dwon here i just scout wif muy buddy whootty and we shoot a hawg or a million but damn ya gotta just set by them scrapes I bet I gotta hundred footlong one by muy one stand all the way back. got to go to the funnels during slug season and the res hunters just shoot them next to you and they run right to you. dying sometimez but i dont mind puttin muh tag on someone elses deer i mean i scouted em afterall"

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Coulda used your dog this weekend. Figures you would have to be gone. In the future could you schedule your out of town trips so they do not conflict with me poorly shooting a monster buck??:smiley_arrogant:

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tucky-
Awww man. I hate to hear that Randy. That just sucks. Sorry I had to get out of town. Three years I did not ride while my wife was going back to college. I have been riding since I was seven. It was difficult to put on hold. I would imagine it is how Thunderflight feels about not hunting the last several years. Riding is one of my life long passions. Sure felt good to get out with the boys for the weekend though.

Ernie- Here is the crazy part. I saw some monster tracks around mud holes. In the mornings I was on the lookout when we were riding out in the chilly air while we were on the sunny sides of the mountains. Whenever on a ridgeline I was thinking "Man is this ever big buck territory. Look at the shelf running parallel to the trail." This buck was kicked up in the same area I had seen tracks a couple of times. One time I stopped to check them out in the middle of the trail. My one buddy looped around to make sure my bike wasn't broken or something as i was pointing at the ground. He thought I had lost something. haha "Nope Gary, rut is kicking in and these are some big tracks. Deer season ya know." haha

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Glad you had a good time. I never gave a thought really to using a dog before you posted your dog. Of course as I am crawling through briars I was thinking "dang Phil is out of town, this ain't looking good, I could use some help."

When I get a minute I'll post the details.