Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No Till Food Plots - So Easy

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Great webinar - if you only want a section of it, watch the last 10mins. Dale shows how in 15 years he increased the OM 7%! That is a remarkable achievement. Although OM is often used as the baseline for success, he also was able to increase water infiltration, microbial activity, etc.

Thanks for following along.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
They have destroyed that plot!

How much fertilizer comes from deer? Any studies on that part of this?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
They have destroyed that plot!

How much fertilizer comes from deer? Any studies on that part of this?

There are no direct studies on deer and their impacts on soil (that I am aware of). There are a lot on cattle but a few caveats that must be understood.
1. Deer can add micro bacteria to our fields in three ways - salvia, urine, feces.
2. Deer can also not be controlled in the wild - which presents issues of over browsing.
3. When deer browse, they may or may not deposit any in the field in which they are eating - which means OM walked off the field!

In cattle there have been several studies on this, GREEN COVER SEED - has some great information available. They are often doing paddock grazing - this is essentially a highly controlled grazing method specifying weight per paddock/acre and allowed grazing in each paddock for a specific duration of time. Often, the time is set relative to the amount of forage that is removed before allowing them to move to the next paddock. I believe they try to never let the amount removed be more than 50%. This optimizes animal OM deposits on the soil and the photosynthetic engine, in the plants, from stopping if being over browsed.

Hope this helps. Sorry, it is a bit of a grey answer.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
So to elaborate a bit more - I wanted to share this from GreenCoverSeed 6th addition.

33 days after 80+% of the top forage was removed, the plants never resumed root growth thereafter. Amazing that at 50%, most of the plants had minimal root growth stoppage!

Entire resource here:

1640698604227.png

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
Did you weigh any of the does you guys harvested this year? We killed the biggest 2 does I've seen on the property this year and the bigger one dressed out at 100 pounds. The other was just over 90. I have seen a good number of deer on that place this year, just nothing of any size. I chalked it up to the amount of pressure on the property. Now I'm thinking it could be a mix of the two combined. I should've had the teeth sent out to check age. Maybe I'll go get another one and do that....hmmm

Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Did you weigh any of the does you guys harvested this year? We killed the biggest 2 does I've seen on the property this year and the bigger one dressed out at 100 pounds. The other was just over 90. I have seen a good number of deer on that place this year, just nothing of any size. I chalked it up to the amount of pressure on the property. Now I'm thinking it could be a mix of the two combined. I should've had the teeth sent out to check age. Maybe I'll go get another one and do that....hmmm
If memory servers me correctly both does we’re 115-120 dressed. My buck was 185 dressed.

Reactions: giles

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Got invited to talk to Jesse all about soil - if you are bored, give him a listen. Jesse's dad was Lickcreek on the old QDMA forums who was extremely well known and respected for his deer hunting food plot tips/tricks. Jesse is a great guy and I had a ton of fun speaking with him.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Another book down on soil health. Wow! Dr. William Albrecht was a genius.

This is not an easy read and I wouldn’t suggest this to be the first book on soil health you read. I read many of the pages multiple times over, to increase my comprehension.

If you are interested in history of cover crops being used back into the late 1800s. Experiments that were done to understand mulch vs. non mulched and the impacts on nitrification on said soils. History of CA to MG saturations and how it impacts yields - how these tests were performed was fascinating. Finding and explaining antagonistic relationships and how it’s not always a linear correlation between two cations because a third ion (for example) may be impacting the others, in that specific soil profile.

The information from Dr. A about how they were inquisitive about how the microbiology impacted soil chemistry as well as plant physiology was WAY ahead of his time. Basically explaining some of the rhizophagey cycle.

All in all - each soil is different. Each problem and success is derived from differentiation in circumstances. The best way to understand what’s happening is to limit variabilities in soil testing, tissue testing and keep learning from others.
A6D2AA6B-4268-48C3-83C4-E9C160C4A1B2.jpeg