Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No Till Food Plots - So Easy

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am extremely proud to continue to be able to give back and support conservation!
Screenshot 2023-05-12 133639.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Colin is great guy and friend - I was happy and excited to be on his podcast. If you’re interested in using fertilizer but not sure what/how to use it for your soil types - this might help!!

Reactions: bowhunter1023

at1010

*Supporting Member*
These two fields were no tilled and planted green.

We then did a herbicide burn off. We got rain post plant but it’s been dry since.

I am certain had this not been no tilled - this would be a total loss.

Thankfully with the cool morning and years of no till focused soil health - we are holding every little bit of moisture we are able. Fingers crossed for rain soon!!

IMG_1728.jpeg
IMG_1727.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Anyone know how long beans and corn can be in the ground without rain and still sprout?

a good bit. The problem isn’t the seed. It’s the predation on the seed and/or if it sprouts and then gets no water - it likely won’t make it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Stressless

Keene, OH
Just recommended your Carbon Load to neighbor Cliff to build his OM in a couple gas line ROW's that are in need of help. Thanks for your continued input!

Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I get asked about this a lot, so I wanted to show a few videos this year on how a person can lightly till and still have success, using the tools they have access to.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
There are no secrets to growing quality food plots. We need to focus on soil health and by doing so we will mitigate the risks of pressures outside of our control.

On the farm we have worked tremendously hard for the last 6 years to increase diversity, go to no till, increase acreage planted (to reduce browse pressure), and to never stop learning.

We have received rain right after planting. Since - we have not had more than a single .10th of an inch. Yet, the plots are still growing.

We need rain and need it bad. However, there is no denying that no tilling absolutely saved us this year!!
IMG_6456.jpeg
IMG_6449.jpeg
IMG_6461.jpeg
IMG_6477.jpeg
IMG_1787.jpeg
IMG_6473.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One of the limitations with no till is the right drill for the right tractor. I'd love to go this route, but it's nearly impossible to find a drill that will work on a compact tractor. At least that doesn't cost several thousand dollars. The results certainly do speak for themselves, but I've got an equipment gap to close before I can join in on this!

Reactions: Big_Holla

at1010

*Supporting Member*
One of the limitations with no till is the right drill for the right tractor. I'd love to go this route, but it's nearly impossible to find a drill that will work on a compact tractor. At least that doesn't cost several thousand dollars. The results certainly do speak for themselves, but I've got an equipment gap to close before I can join in on this!
For sure. But you can use a tiller - like I did in the above YouTube video - to lightly till then mow to cover the seeds. It isn’t perfect but man it’s effective at holding moisture.

Check that one out - part 2. I think you’ll enjoy it!!

or I need to just get a bigger trailer and truck to haul my rig to ya and knock it out. Maybe someday!!