Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No Till Food Plots - So Easy

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That statement alone made my head hurt. I'll take your word for it that it was a good read!
It’s a pretty intense book. They just did a good job of explaining the actual nutrient content of many organic amendments, bone meal - for example.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Crimping and chicory

I’ve been happy with the results of crimping the carbon load and mowing it (in another test) so far. The chicory response has been incredible. It has jumped from the ground and deer continue to feed on it - acting like a nurse crop for the emerging NitroBoost. This is providing top quality food for bucks and many new fawns and lactating does.

Habitat 365!!
IMG_7114.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Mowing covers
Leaving living walking paths
Weed mats where tomato’s will go
Constant photosynthesis all year

From deer plot to gardens - the same principles can be followed. Adjust to your goals and see the soil health flourish!!

IMG_7117.jpeg
IMG_7118.jpeg
IMG_7119.jpeg
IMG_7120.jpeg

P8riot

Carbon, In
How often do you guys mow your clover? My field is right behind my shop so it is easy access for me. I use my regular zero turn on the highest setting. I planted in early April and I have cut it twice already when it gets over a foot tall back there. There was already some clover there, I just overseeded with the Whitetail Institute No Till. I have noticed the deer really stick around after I mow and maybe a week or two after. When it gets longer, they make their way through quicker without stopping for too long. There are differing opinions on how often to mow from what I've read. What have you guys found to be best?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
How often do you guys mow your clover? My field is right behind my shop so it is easy access for me. I use my regular zero turn on the highest setting. I planted in early April and I have cut it twice already when it gets over a foot tall back there. There was already some clover there, I just overseeded with the Whitetail Institute No Till. I have noticed the deer really stick around after I mow and maybe a week or two after. When it gets longer, they make their way through quicker without stopping for too long. There are differing opinions on how often to mow from what I've read. What have you guys found to be best?
Mow for broadleaf weed control - don’t need to be that often and varies on climate and rain fall. Also when it’s headed out - mowing the tops can be useful. No need to mow that frequently.

that “no till” I believe has rye grass in it and now you’ll be wanting to spray with clethodim to kill that or it’ll choke out the clover.

Reactions: P8riot

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Just shy of 100 tomatoes!

Passed down from my wife’s grandpa from Italy over the last 75 years.

Between weed mat is living rows to help with soil micorbes, water infiltration and compaction issues.

If it wasn’t for my love of growing things - I think I’d go insane!!

IMG_7140.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Been a few crazy busy days around the farm. Lots of updates coming.

I did take time to slow down and pick a few great handfuls of fresh blackberries off the vine.

So delicious and refreshing on these hot summer days

IMG_7297.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Customer and friend @csulli16 sent these pictures. “One side has been in Vitalize 1-2 system for two years. The other side is a new planting. Can you tell which side has been in the system?”

Which side do you think?!

Making biology work for him!! So thankful for our customers and amazing feedback!!

IMG_7421.jpeg
IMG_7422.jpeg

Reactions: Big_Holla