Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No wonder they stink.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
TOO funny!

I have witnessed that kind of buck behavior while afield many of times and captured a lot of it on camera as well.

The video below are of the more of recent examples that I quickly grabbed out of the huge amount of TC deer data collected over the years.

Yes, that is one of the reasons why they stink horribly. They also mark their beds by pissing in them and if your sinuses are in good working order while afield, you just may be able to smell them first before you even get to see them, or able to smell that they were within the immediate vicinity just prior of getting to your hunting location.

Field dressing a full-blown rutting buck can be an utter challenge no doubt. I would suggest keeping an extra pair of ear plugs or some tissue paper handy when hunting down such buck because if you’re successful, you just might want to plug your nose up really good before you get around to gutting that deer, and always have a good set of gutting gloves with you as well, otherwise that smell will linger on your person and/or your vehicle if traveling.

My last season’s buck harvest had my gag reflux working overtime and my eyes were on fire when dressing him out. It was not the most pleasant experience by any stretch of the matter.

The following are TC captures as well that is a brief three part series of a mature buck that pissed in his new bed just before leaving it, and then returning the next couple of days to sleep in it again, pissing in it each time before he left. I have the other TC captures as well, but unable to quickly locate them at this very moment, but I do have them.