Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NOT burning out a location

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Just got permission for a spot that i see ducks flying to every morning I've hunted in my area. Uncle in law checking his fields jumped dozens from the area yesterday.

How can i hunt it and how often to not make the ducks avoid it?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Assuming you're hunting a lot of resident birds, I've found it to be very similar to deer. You get 2-3 good chances, then things start to get worse. Especially if they have a lot of choices. Once you start getting migrators, then you can hammer down IMO. One of our spots is always full of residents and after our 3rd hunt, we have to pray for migrators.

Reagan

Milford, OH
In my experience one hunt, two tops then you need to let it rest for many days if not weeks. A good cold front can change that but I’m in the south part of the state. Erie area is probably much better.

Reactions: Hedgelj

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It depends. How much food is there, is it even a feed site, is there a resting area nearby, how many birds are using the area, etc etc. If it’s a spot the birds are using to actively feed and they have other viable options around the general area, you’ll get 2 maybe 3 hunts and she’s toast. Maybe less if it’s less than 50 ducks total using it. If they have somewhere nearby they can escape pressure and feel safe 24/7, and you’re hunting their feed site, you can milk it for a little while if you’re smart about it. Hunt them during the middle of the day only and pick away at them in small groups. Don’t shoot into big wads of ducks. Go in after 9-10 am and get out of there no later than 4 pm. Don’t go in with too many guns. And be smart with your shots. This all assumes its several hundred birds or more using this area. If it’s not, fugg it… just burn em up with a smile on your face.