Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not good.....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just saw this! So sad to hear this. That's a very high fall, I hope and pray he's not hurt seriously or was killed!

I always wear my safety harness but don't use anything on my way up or way down which can also be dangerous. What does everyone else use during their ascent and descent from their treestand?

teej89

NE PA
Just saw this! So sad to hear this. That's a very high fall, I hope and pray he's not hurt seriously or was killed!

I always wear my safety harness but don't use anything on my way up or way down which can also be dangerous. What does everyone else use during their ascent and descent from their treestand?

I wear my linemens rope when ascending and descending but that's only when I'm hanging a stand. If it's already hung I'll normally just go right up it. Probably should invest in one of those lifeline ropes and just leave it on the tree.

My dad had a friend fall recently fortunately he wasn't high up. His step on his climbing sticks broke, kinda crazy. But that would be an instance where you have no control and better hope you're wearing a harness

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

I'm the same way. Climbing up and down a ladder stand puts you a good 5 feet or more from the tree. No harness goes that far.

With a climber, I'm always attached going up or down. Climbing my sticks I'm attached as well, but the ladder stand I'm not.
Not sure how to fix that. Although, ladder stands are really secure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nobody seems too have any updates.... Stuff hit the fan the day of and that was it from what I was told.... Either wasn't that bad after all or it's top secret....

Oh well brings up the conversation of wearing it at least....

Griz

NH
Most of the time no news is good news.

I wear my harness while in the stand all the time. With my climber I attach at the bottom and unattach when I hit the ground coming down. But with my sticks, I don't attach until I'm in the stand. I own a live wire but don't use it. Its just heavy to carry. I thought of hanging a safety rope to hook into on the way up and down, but haven't done it. I'm a roofer by trade so feel very safe climbing things I can hold onto. But if something should fail, I would be in trouble. Lastly, most trees I pick to hang a lock on stand has limbs on the way up. A line mans rope would be hard to use. I,m always open to any ideas to stay safe.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Hope he's doing well. It's always scary hearing of stuff like this because we all know it can happen to anyone at anytime. I never wore a harness until my son was born. Now, I can't hunt without one. It just worries me too much. No deer is worth me falling out of a tree for.

From my perspective, you've got to be as careful as possible 100% of the time. Just wear the damn thing. If not for you, for your family and those close to you. You owe it to them.

Boy I was hoping to hear he's doing fine by now. Keep us updated if/when you hear something and we will continue those prayers.

On the side note of wearing a harness, I have been for years but only because I fell once while hanging a stand back when I was in college. Not a good situation for me as the guy I was with wouldn't have even known where to look for me. Now I won't climb a tree without one and the 3 hang-on/loc-ons we have all have lifelines on them. I will tell you one thing, THAT gives you peace of mind. I always try to maintain the 3 points of contact as well but there is that one moment that one point may slip or you lose concentration of what you are doing that scares me these days. The lifeline helps with that.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
From my perspective, you've got to be as careful as possible 100% of the time. Just wear the damn thing. If not for you, for your family and those close to you. You owe it to them.

There it is in a nutshell.... Well put Sean....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hope he is doing well.

With climber I am secured all the way up and back down.

LW sticks and Millennium I am secured with lineman's belt.

Stick ladder, ladder stands, screw in steps up to a hang on I am secured once in the tree. Would love to have lifeline's for each stand but the cost of them thru HSS and similar are righteous. Hard to drop another $30-40 per stand setup when you are talking about 15-20 stands spread over multiple properties. 11 of these are hang on stands. The rest are ladders or buddy ladder stands. Whenever possible, I try to hook my harness rope before leaving sticks/steps and climbing onto the hang on stand. Not always possible and sometimes is more dangerous than simply climbing into stand and then securing.