Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NW Ohio new growth

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not sure why I had not posted these up yet, but here are my most recent pictures. One of them looks to be fairly mature although I find it difficult to age deer this time of the year. Ironically, the smaller (apparently younger) deer seemed to be branching out already. Not sure which is a better sign? I am thinking the one with baseballs coming out is a better sign. Branching out is okay, but it doesn't scream heavy mass to me from what I am seeing.

Attachments

• PICT0206 April 2012 antlers growing.jpg
    PICT0206 April 2012 antlers growing.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 167
  • PICT0190 April 2012 antlers growing.jpg
    PICT0190 April 2012 antlers growing.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 169
  • PICT0035.jpg
    PICT0035.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 203
  • PICT0038.jpg
    PICT0038.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 192
  • PICT0207.jpg
    PICT0207.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 221
  • PICT0191.jpg
    PICT0191.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 219
  • PICT0208.jpg
    PICT0208.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If I've learned anything about aging deer in the summer, it is that it is damn near impossible!!! The other thing I've come to learn is the bigger the base, the better the buck will be despite what others may have on him at this point. So I think it is a safe assumption that big with the stout bases is going to be one that will peak your interest Phil!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Good looking bucks... that first one is gonna be a good buck I have a feeling. He def looks like a mature deer. Summer bucks are some of the hardest things to judge bc they tend to look like all the other bucks except the rack on their head. The buck in the first pic has a belly going tho and judging off that mass, I hope hes a stud for you to chase this year

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I should post a picture of them in the same frame. Seriously looks like the one branching out is a 10-12yr old boy standing next to a 22yr old farm boy. This isn't necessarily a great judgement though because the two bucks I have on the wall are night and day different in size. First one was close to 300lbs. Second one was nowhere near this size. Even the mounts next to each other are deceiving. Almost like a Texas deer next to a Canadian deer. Different genetics run in this area.

Overall, I think you guys are spot on though. Smaller deer branching out is most likely just that. Probably younger deer just getting started. I am thinking basket 8 this year.