Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR to Reduce Turkey Bag Limit

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Yep. I wonder if "several years of below average reproduction" is code word for "unchecked nest predation, bobcat and coyote population increases" 😅
We all know they only base their turkey population numbers off the number that are killed. So the more you kill the more there are.... don't try to confuse the matter with that scientific jargon.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Screenshot_20220131-131233_Instagram.jpg
😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We all know they only base their turkey population numbers off the number that are killed. So the more you kill the more there are.... don't try to confuse the matter with that scientific jargon.

There are more turkeys than ever, hunters have simply failed to adapt to their yearly food patterns. I mean look at geese, I'm getting reports from wildlife surveyors that fewer geese are getting hit by windmills this year, it's largely because geese don't have to fly as far for food. The same for turkeys. There is an overabundance of them, hunters just need to adapt to their food sources.

Reactions: Hedgelj
We got Fishers here in Pa. The Pa. Game Comm. first denied it then said it was to control the porky population. They prefer Turkey and will wipe out the flock on the roost because they are killers. The remaining Toms don't leave the roost till well after full light. they roost farther from hens and they don't gobble much during the day either.
I said before here that I see them regularly now and one I saw coming from the swamp up to the corn looked more like an otter! I'm on a border county with Ohio and I assure you they are in Ohio also, so there is another predator you got to live with...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
There are more turkeys than ever, hunters have simply failed to adapt to their yearly food patterns. I mean look at geese, I'm getting reports from wildlife surveyors that fewer geese are getting hit by windmills this year, it's largely because geese don't have to fly as far for food. The same for turkeys. There is an overabundance of them, hunters just need to adapt to their food sources.
You serious bro? 😃

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You serious bro? 😃

Per Tonkavich about 4 years in to their herd reduction plans, that is sound wildlife management logic. There aren't less deer, hunters just suck, less squirrels are getting hit on the road because they don't have to travel as far for food, deer are the same and hunters haven't adapted to the abundant mast crop. That is the reason for the sharply declining harvest numbers.

Per Tonkavich about 4 years in to their herd reduction plans, that is sound wildlife management logic. There aren't less deer, hunters just suck, less squirrels are getting hit on the road because they don't have to travel as far for food, deer are the same and hunters haven't adapted to the abundant mast crop.
I trust my State Officials. :ROFLMAO: If they say I can kill 6 deer per season, I'm going to keep killing deer until someone is proven wrong. :rolleyes: ...or there are no more deer...or turkeys...or whatever. It's not about the money being pushed through by the Ohio Insurance Commission to reduce car/deer collisions....is it? :unsure:

...don't get me started on how the coyote populations suddenly exploded, via trucking them into the state. :mad:
Letting bobcat populations to increase, only to watch the turkey populations to take a hit, is nothing short of insanity. I know a guy in Jackson County that owns 600 acres, has it posted with trail cams and hasn't seen a turkey in over 4 years, since he started seeing bobcats. Nutz!

Bowhunter57