Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Hunter Shoots Bear

rrr

Cotty and Mark, isn't this towards your way?

Ohio Deer Hunter Shoots Black Bear in Self Defense

An Ohio deer hunter shot and killed a 225-pound black bear that he says charged him while he was hunting on the opening day of gun season. Though he hasn’t been charged, it’s being treated as a criminal act until his story is sorted out, according to Cleveland.com.

A Massillon deer hunter killed a 225-pound male black bear that reportedly charged him while he was hunting on Monday afternoon in the Cadiz area of Harrison County, east of Clendening Reservoir. It was opening day of Ohio's deer gun season.

"The hunter notified the Harrison County Sheriff's Office right away, and they called in the Ohio Division of Wildlife," said district law enforcement supervisor Tom Rowan. "We are still investigating the incident, and can't release the name of the hunter."

Bears are protected in Ohio.

Rowan said investigators have yet to get a complete statement from the hunter, and may not do an extensive interview with him until next week. He has not been charged with shooting the bear.

"We have to treat this as a criminal act because shooting a bear violates Ohio's wildlife code," said Rowan.

According to sketchy reports from wildlife officials, the hunter had told officers the bear had charged him and he shot it in self-defense. The bear was shot once in the head at close range with a rifled slug from a 12-gauge shotgun. It is the typical firearm and ammunition used for hunting white-tailed deer during the gun season, which runs through Sunday and returns Dec. 18-19.

Wildlife officers examined the bear in the woods on Monday afternoon. After trying to drag out the heavy animal, officers called in an all-terrain vehicle to transport the carcass from the woods. A necropsy of the bear was done on Tuesday.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
He's fugged.. Didn't they charge that guy in Zanesville with killing an endangered species after he shot one that charged him? He said the bear was digging in his garbage and he didn't see it when he let the dog out to go to the bathroom. Then the dog was barking and it ran the dog back in the house and it charged the homeowner.

Matt

Norton, OH
He's fugged.. Didn't they charge that guy in Zanesville with killing an endangered species after he shot one that charged him? He said the bear was digging in his garbage and he didn't see it when he let the dog out to go to the bathroom. Then the dog was barking and it ran the dog back in the house and it charged the homeowner.

I think that one they ended up proving that the bear didn't charge the guy. I could be wrong though.

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
Guy prolly tell'n the truth - after all he notified the sheriff right away - he could have just walked .

the dow position on this is ohio black bears do not attack - heh heh - wtf

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If it was me and it was close I'd drop it and.put.five more into it.to make sure just sayin ain't like you have bears charging at you everyday in Ohio :smiley_depressive:

Buckrun

"We have to treat this as a criminal act because shooting a bear violates Ohio's wildlife code," said Rowan.

This is why I have NO love for the wildlife officers in OH. He is guilty and has to prove he is innocent.

Steve

rrr

After trying to drag out the heavy animal, officers called in an all-terrain vehicle to transport the carcass from the woods

Who would have thought? Dang... lmao

badger

*Supporting Member*

This is why I have NO love for the wildlife officers in OH. He is guilty and has to prove he is innocent.

Steve

I agree with you Steve, and as mentioned above, what guilty man would turn himself in?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The article was just in our paper today. I'm shocked our local media wasn't all over this.

I hope they determine he's telling the truth and he gives a big "fuck off" on his way out if the court room.

Amen Brother.... My sentiments exactly.....

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I agree with you Steve, and as mentioned above, what guilty man would turn himself in?

Innocent man has no need to fear (or so he thinks)

Well, and on top of that Badger, the article I read said they determined it was shot at close range.

If'n the bear was at close range, you can be pretty sure it was the bear's idea to get close, not dude's.

Yeah, wildlife laws should be enforced, so the killing of a bear warrants some scrutiny...but the tone of the article leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

badger

*Supporting Member*
As I said, I'm shocked our local tv crew didn't jump on this one. I mean, they are all over meaningless shit, but let this one slip by? Odd...
When the bear sightings occur earlier in the year they lead the news off with it. It's big news here.

Don't worry they will have a Lebron, or a shark attack story to report soon.