Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Senate Approves Multi-Year License Bill

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
After agreeing to an amendment sought by sportsmen’s groups, the Ohio Senate approved legislation on April 1 aimed at better customer service for hunters, anglers and trappers. Senate Bill 257 contains 10 changes to hunting and fishing laws, including:

• Multi-year hunting and fishing licenses
  • Lifetime hunting and fishing licenses
  • Allows the Ohio Division of Wildlife to create combination licenses
  • Allows gas powered ATVs/UTVs for disabled hunters
  • Removes the three-year cap for purchasers of an Apprentice Hunting License
  • Creates an Apprentice Furbearer Permit
  • Creates a non-resident Lake Erie fishing Permit
  • Allows non-resident youth to purchase licenses at resident prices
Sportsmen’s groups, led by the Sportsmen’s Alliance and including Buckeye Firearms Association, Ducks Unlimited, Ohio Conservation Federation, Ohio State Trappers Association, Pheasants Forever, Quail Forever, Safari Club International – Central OH Chapter, Greene County Fish and Game Association, Columbiana County Federation of Conservation Clubs, Hocking County Fish and Game, and Stark County Federation of Conservation Clubs, were able to negotiate changes with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the sponsor, Sen. Joe Uecker (R-Miami Township), to reduce the discount levels and bring them in line with recommendations from the nation’s top economic research firm on outdoor recreation.

Southwick Associates, one of the nation’s leading outdoor economic research firms, was retained by the Ohio Division of Wildlife to research the viability of multi-year licenses. The study advised that any discounts should be 5 percent or less to minimize potential revenue loss, while still retaining a good incentive for customers. Sen. Bill Beagle (R-Tipp City) authored the amendment setting discounts at 5 percent, which was unanimously approved by the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee on April 10. The committee then approved the bill without dissent. The bill was passed the following day by a vote of 33-0.

SB 257 now heads to the Ohio House of Representatives. The House Energy and Natural Resources Committee has already heard House Bill 518, which is identical to the Senate Bill except for the discounts addressed by the Senate. The committee is expected to take up the same amendment during its next meeting.

The Sportsmen’s Alliance and its partners appreciate the willingness of the ODNR, bill sponsors, committee chairs and other key legislators who worked to fashion a bill supported by all parties.

About the Sportsmen’s Alliance: The Sportsmen’s Alliance protects and defends America’s wildlife conservation programs and the pursuits – hunting, fishing and trapping – that generate the money to pay for them. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation is responsible for public education, legal defense and research. Its mission is accomplished through several distinct programs coordinated to provide the most complete defense possible. Stay connected to Sportsmen’s Alliance:

http://www.sportsmensalliance.org/news/ohio-senate-approves-multi-year-license-bill/
Online, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Last edited by a moderator:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was hoping to see something like this in my lifetime!!! A few states already have this and it’s seemed to work well for the hunting and fishing communities....

Hopefully if you buy a lifetime license and then if you move out of state you can still use it like other states have done...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was hoping to see something like this in my lifetime!!! A few states already have this and it’s seemed to work well for the hunting and fishing communities....

Hopefully if you buy a lifetime license and then if you move out of state you can still use it like other states have done...

That's how Mississippi's is, the lifetime license for those 13 and over is $1,000, 13 and under is $500, and non-resident native Mississippian is $1,500

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

That's how Mississippi's is, the lifetime license for those 13 and over is $1,000, 13 and under is $500, and non-resident native Mississippian is $1,500

If you were to move like you have, and had bought before you left would you still be able to use it?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you were to move like you have, and had bought before you left would you still be able to use it?

Yes i could still use it as a NR. If I was native born I could buy one as a NR also but i was born in Alabama.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wonder what the costs will be?

MS is $1,000 and their normal license is $25 a year for a combo hunting / freshwater fishing license. That's 40 years worth of licenses at cost. Wouldn't surprise me if Ohio does 1k for hunting and another 1k for fishing.

MS is $1,000 and their normal license is $25 a year for a combo hunting / freshwater fishing license. That's 40 years worth of licenses at cost. Wouldn't surprise me if Ohio does 1k for hunting and another 1k for fishing.

So by that formula a Non-Resident lifetime at about $140 for hunting would be $5,600. Ouch. Don't think I will be going that route. Also with my luck, I would die a year later and would get screwed on the deal.

Isaacorps

Columbus

So by that formula a Non-Resident lifetime at about $140 for hunting would be $5,600. Ouch. Don't think I will be going that route. Also with my luck, I would die a year later and would get screwed on the deal.

If you’re dead, who cares [emoji23] I was actually thinking the same thing lol

Reactions: cspot

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Anyone hear anymore about this and any numbers on cost been mentioned?

I'm sure @Curran has more info but I think it still sits in the house. I know there was a house bill that was similar but had some differences like funds were deposited in to the state treasury then distributed to the DOW on a prorated yearly basis. The wheels of legislation turn slow.

Reactions: "J"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm sure @Curran has more info but I think it still sits in the house. I know there was a house bill that was similar but had some differences like funds were deposited in to the state treasury then distributed to the DOW on a prorated yearly basis. The wheels of legislation turn slow.

Yeah, god forbid it goes to who it should... General fund will see more then their fair share I’d imagine

That's nice. The general fund gets to use the money for free then and then just makes payments to the DOW.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Anyone hear anymore about this and any numbers on cost been mentioned?

Correct. It is still sitting in the house.

Reactions: "J"