Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio's crime stats...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
FBI data shows violent crime continues to decline
By Associated Press

POSTED: 11:09 a.m. EST, Dec 20, 2010

WASHINGTON: The FBI says reports of violent and property crimes are continuing to decline, following a three-year trend.
According to the FBI's preliminary report of crimes reported in the first half of 2010, violent crimes dropped 6.2 percent from January to June and property crime saw a dip of 2.8 percent.
Annual crime reports for the last three years have shown a steady drop in violent and property crimes reported to police, despite a struggling economy that has put a strain on local police budgets. Typically, crime rates increase in tough economic times.
WASHINGTON: The FBI says reports of violent and property crimes are continuing to decline, following a three-year trend.

According to the FBI's preliminary report of crimes reported in the first half of 2010, violent crimes dropped 6.2 percent from January to June and property crime saw a dip of 2.8 percent.

Annual crime reports for the last three years have shown a steady drop in violent and property crimes reported to police, despite a struggling economy that has put a strain on local police budgets. Typically, crime rates increase in tough economic times.

I account some of this to Ohio's Concealed Carry laws. Any thoughts?

Beentown

Matt

Norton, OH
I concur Beener. It definitely wasn't that radical change they made in the sentencing and prison system, that's for sure... :smiley_chinrub:

rrr

Is this for Ohio, or the nation in general? I ask because the AP headline is Washington...

Also, it seems like it's been a very high crime year for Mansfield, I read the news everyday there...and also, didn't Columbus have the highest homocide year in awhile this year?

[This is not to question whether or not conceal carry reduces crimes, because it certainly does - look at Texas and Alaska!...just questioning the article and its pertinence to the Buckeye State]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I do not think it is a coincedence the continued increase in CCW has reduced some crime. Crime will not go away totally, but I think some of the criminals might think twice whereas 5-10yrs ago it was probably never a thought in their minds.