Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OLHAP vs public land

whitetailjunky3

Most people in my area don’t know anything about the permits so it can be decent hunting but we also don’t have public

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have no personal experience with this program, but have always heard it was a shit show. Maybe @RedCloud has mentioned it before?
Like Jon said, the program has been completely rebooted. This one actually pays landowners to offer their land for access, so the available ground is higher quality. It’s also limited with a reservation system, so the pressure on the land is somewhat controlled. It’s actually been very successful so far.

Bigcountry40

Like Jon said, the program has been completely rebooted. This one actually pays landowners to offer their land for access, so the available ground is higher quality. It’s also limited with a reservation system, so the pressure on the land is somewhat controlled. It’s actually been very successful so far.
JB I was trying to keep it on the down low, lol. Have you participated in a waterfowl hunt yet? The Huron county game warden and I had conversation over the summer, he thought the waterfowl hunts were going to offer some great opportunities

• Haha
Reactions: jagermeister

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JB I was trying to keep it on the down low, lol. Have you participated in a waterfowl hunt yet? The Huron county game warden and I had conversation over the summer, he thought the waterfowl hunts were going to offer some great opportunities
I have not. Just haven’t been quick enough on the mouse clicks to get a spot I was interested in.

Reactions: Stressless

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The mouse click sign up basically reserves these opportunities for resident hunters. Which is sort of a nice thing.
I don’t think so. A non resident could log on and go through the reservation steps just the same as a resident, right? I guess I’m not 100% certain of that… But I’ve not heard that it’s a residents-only opportunity.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep… here ya go…

2524CE93-B9C7-4C72-9492-96F9374B7818.jpeg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have no personal experience with this program, but have always heard it was a shit show. Maybe @RedCloud has mentioned it before?
The old program was a shit show. I haven't tried the new system just because of the experience I had with the old system. I know the new system the landowners sign up for the program and get paid $2-30 an acre so I'm guessing the cost reflects habitat. Open farm land gets the lower amount and the wooded property gets the higher amount. Time will tell and I'm sure you will run into a mix of scammers looking to make some extra cash and let you hunt but decide to do "farm" work and screw up the hunting while your there.

Bigcountry40

I don’t think so. A non resident could log on and go through the reservation steps just the same as a resident, right? I guess I’m not 100% certain of that… But I’ve not heard that it’s a residents-only opportunity.
Yeah they can hunt OLHAP, but it’s not guaranteed is my point. So if a non resident doesn’t have a plan B or somewhere close to hunt other than OLHAP and they don’t click fast enough they are s o l. So it sort favors locals and residents

The old program was a shit show. I haven't tried the new system just because of the experience I had with the old system. I know the new system the landowners sign up for the program and get paid $2-30 an acre so I'm guessing the cost reflects habitat. Open farm land gets the lower amount and the wooded property gets the higher amount. Time will tell and I'm sure you will run into a mix of scammers looking to make some extra cash and let you hunt but decide to do "farm" work and screw up the hunting while your there.
Thanks I will keep that in mind and not get any big hopes