Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

One Lucky Doe

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I had some time to hit the woods this afternoon/early evening. I had been putting off going back out since the fiasco on Monday. I got to the woods at 3:30 and nobody was there but little ol me or so I thought. I parked and walked the 1/2 mile back to the woods and I see an orange vest standing down in the woods. I didn't feel like going down and screwing with the guy even though he was in the section I planed on sitting and knowing he probably didn't have permission to be there. I went ahead and went to the north block to sit in my climber. I get to my climber and see it has been spun around the tree facing a different direction then it was last I had used it. Oh boy here we go again. Luckily there was some snow on the ground so I simply follow the footprints. I soon see 2 more orange vest and decide I would ask them about my climber. The guy had enough balls to stand there and tell me he had only leaned on it lol. After bitching at them for messing with my stand I walked back over and pulled it and while I was doing that they climbed down out of the ladder stand that wasn't theres and walked off.
Now I'm on a mission lol. I lug the old climber back out of the woods and decide I'm going to go fuck with their buddy that is trespassing. I walk into the woods not being quite in the least because by this point I was pissed lol. I walk over to him and make sure he didn't have written permission and proceed to tell him he is over the line by about 150 yards and made sure he knew right where the line was lol. Come to find out these 3 are all hunting together and are from Marion. The guy said they use to hunt in Morrow county next door to where the deputy got shot here a month or so ago. He decided to head up to the north block and collect his 2 buddies and leave.
I decided screw it I'm sitting where I was originally going to sit. Needless to say I didn't see a damn thing since those guys had walked all over the place. I decided at 4:30 I was going to start moving back toward where I had laid my climber and the edge of the cut cornfield. I get almost to edge of the field and seen a doe standing out there feeding. I made up my mind she was going to die today lol. I crouched down and started my stalk trying to get the backstop I needed for the shot because I didn't know how far my slug would go after hitting her. The owners house and a couple others was only 1/2 mile past her and dead in-line with where she was standing. Thinking to myself, That's all I need is to shoot her and have my slug go ripping into one of those houses after skipping down the field :(. I found a tree I was going to put my gun on for a rest and when I was about 10' the neighbor let off 3 shots and put her on high alert. I continued to sneak up about 8-9' to that tree and I stepped on a frozen leaf. She was about 25 yards into the field and I swear she only took 3 jumps and was now into the neighbors winter wheat field that I didn't have permission for :(. Damn, just another foot or 2 and she would have been in the freezer. Oh well. That's hunting I guess lol.

I'll be back at it in the morning after dropping the boy off at school.

Last edited:

rrr

GOOD!

Always good to see deer, even after idiots - during gun season anything can happen at any time.

Glad to hear you had a good outing.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
GOOD!

Always good to see deer, even after idiots - during gun season anything can happen at any time.

Glad to hear you had a good outing.

Thanks Cap't. It is just like hunting the rut during gun season. The deer are moving all over the place but for a different reason now lol.

If you would have been sitting in that ladder stand looking due south you would have been able to pick her off. Don't worry though...I will leave a few for muzzy season for ya :D.

As of right now NOBODY has shot anything out there except the neighbor tonight lol. They must have all bumble fucked each other while walking all over the place out there rotflmao.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Glad to hear you out putten the sneek on.
Don't forget to chamber a round... a firing pin slaming on an empty chamber can be herd for miles. lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Glad to hear you out putten the sneek on.
Don't forget to chamber a round... a firing pin slaming on an empty chamber can be herd for miles. lol

If I head out late like I did today the gun is locked and loaded right at the truck :D.

I have had a couple deer run out in front of me in that 1/2 mile walk to the woods so when it's legal shooting light I always put a round in the chamber.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Adam, it's great to know there's other folks out there being safe with their shots. Good luck the next time out brotha!

Sounds like good judgment and safety practice cost you an opportunity....and I'm perfectly OK with that. "Where is this shot going?" should be our first thought as we decide to take a shot - good job and good example Adam. Successful hunt in my estimation.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thanks Badger and Dan.

I always keep in the back of my head the worst case scenarios when using a gun. If I don't know exactly what/where that bullet will travel after my target I won't shoot it. I guess that's part of the reason I hate gun season around here so much since there are guys that could care less and just fling lead in every direction they wish. I guess that's also why I am so surprised we don't have more people,houses,building, and other things shot every year. Total disregard of others safety but there own is no way to hunt but we have a bunch of retards around here that hunt that way every year. Something about never showing up to the woods prior to gun season to see who is hunting where and feeling they can show up opening morning and shoot whatever direction they choose and not caring who is sitting over the hill or on the next ridge.

Gun season is a crazy time to be in the woods to me now. I don't like it anymore and don't choose to partake in it from here on out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
No excusses here. I just plain fuggin missed her this afternoon :(.

I had a doe and her fawn come running into the woods from the south behind me. I grunted and got her to stop about 60 yards hard quartering away and put it right over her back :tantrum:. All I could do is watch them finish running through the woods and out the northside. I'm just dumbfounded at how the hell I missed. Oh well, wasn't meant to be the does day I guess because the nieghbor missed her first lmao. Back at it in the morning :smiley_clap:

rrr

Getting closer...

I'd say "Getting warmer" but really the temps are going down lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Getting closer...

I'd say "Getting warmer" but really the temps are going down lol

HAHAHA. It really wasn't that bad out there until I sat in the ladder stand and thawed out the ice and got my ass wet lmao. I sat out in the woods until 3:30 and only started to get cold those last 30min. (while sitting in the ladder stand) so I called it a day :D. Still scratching my head trying to figure out how I missed.

Can't wait to get me some golden little nuggets of corn :D. The deer are tearing up that field picking through the leftovers right now. Get some corn and muzzy season should be GREAT. Cams are going back out on Monday morning as well just to get a new inventory of who made it through gun season :D.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
the corn field beside my inlaws is getting hit every night
it looks like a war zone

They have some good size spots where they rooted around out there. If I didn't know any better I would say it was hogs out there as tore up as it is lol.

I also seen where they are bedding in the treeline/tractor path right next to the field. Must get tired during the night from digging and just hop out of the field and take a snooze :D.

I also seen some yote tracks out there today while I was making sure I missed that doe lmao. They will be next on the hit list.

Last edited: