Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

One short of a limit...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I took the second half of today off to hit up a field that's been loaded with birds all week. I checked it out yesterday afternoon... lots of birds, no sign of hunters having been there... good sign, of course. We got out there around noon or so and had to flush about 200 geese out of the field. After setting up the bigfoots and getting settled in, we had our first two geese down by 12:55. We were able to scratch out 5 geese, but damn they were acting wise. Upon further investigation, we found out a group of guys were just in the field this morning! Dang... I'm always one step behind! Must be nice not to have to work in the mornings... these guys have beat me to two other fields already! LOL. But even so, it was a great hunt! If ducks were in season up here, we could've limited out on mallards and blacks very easily. I've never had ducks decoy into a field spread as well as they did today... it was awesome!

No bling... but tomorrow's another day!

geese_23dec2010.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
Nicely done. What is your favorite goose recipe?
Whenever I make it it always taste like shoe leather vs. liver.
I quit shooting them.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nicely done. What is your favorite goose recipe?
Whenever I make it it always taste like shoe leather vs. liver.
I quit shooting them.

My favorite goose recipe...

Goose breasts in crockpot with 1.5 cups water and beaf boullion,
Cook on low for 6-8 hours,
When cooked, drain pot and shred breasts,
Dump in a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauces and Wahhhlaaahhh... BBQ Goose Sammiches... They are the bomb!

Goose jerky is damn good, TOO... hopefully I can shoot a couple more in the morning before busting out the grinder.

Buckmaster

Portage
Thanks. You confirmed what others have told me.

Roasted, stuffed with oranges, topped with orange marmilade was also the only possible edible recipe that was recommended.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
My favorite goose recipe...

Goose breasts in crockpot with 1.5 cups water and beaf boullion,
Cook on low for 6-8 hours,
When cooked, drain pot and shred breasts,
Dump in a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauces and Wahhhlaaahhh... BBQ Goose Sammiches... They are the bomb!

Goose jerky is damn good, TOO... hopefully I can shoot a couple more in the morning before busting out the grinder.

2 of my favorites JBrown!!

I got this morning's geese already sliced and soaking in some marinade. If all goes well, we'll be eating goose jerky in the field on Tuesday morning.

I think I posted my recipe for goose balls earlier this summer in the recipe section.... check that one out is you're looking for the best way to eat geese!! Everybody loves my balls!!! Errrr goose balls that is....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
2 of my favorites JBrown!!

I got this morning's geese already sliced and soaking in some marinade. If all goes well, we'll be eating goose jerky in the field on Tuesday morning.

I think I posted my recipe for goose balls earlier this summer in the recipe section.... check that one out is you're looking for the best way to eat geese!! Everybody loves my balls!!! Errrr goose balls that is....

lmao Goose balls... that's a good one, I'll have to try it. I've got about 5 lbs of ground-up goose meat right now that I'll be using for a batch of jerky this week. I like any jerky made from ground meat instead of sliced. Slicing is usually a giant pain in the ass... at least for me it is. :)