Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ontario moose hunt

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
So what's next on the bucket list for you, Larry?
Hunting bucket list related I’d like to get a respectable bull elk with my bow. I’ve chased them 3 times, but no luck. I have a few Wyoming preference points, and my buddies go with an outfitter there with a very good success rate on nice bulls. So probably do that in a few years.

I’d also like to go back to Ontario and do the same moose hunt again. The guy I went with already sent his deposit in for next year and is looking for someone to go with as I won’t be able to make it. Considering how well we did I doubt he will have trouble finding a taker. He actually plans to book with this guy every year so maybe that again when I have the time.

Non-hunting bucket list related I’m gonna pull my boat to Florida some day and cross from Miami to the Bimini Islands in the Bahamas!! That is probably more like 5 or 10 years out, and hopefully I have a bigger boat by then for the Gulf Stream crossing…. But if not, I’m just gonna wait for good weather/winds and send it!

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
So how's the meat compared to whitetail?
I’d say when it comes to the steaks, moose is my favorite type of venison, then elk, then whitetail. But all are delicious of course. With the ground moose I didn’t cut it with anything and we really like it in chili, soups, tacos, etc. As for the roasts, they are pretty dry even when done in the crockpot. So best to make some gravy with it. Just no fat on them suckers! I have enough ground in the freezer for a couple years!!

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
A related follow-up on this. I couldn’t make it this year so Rob and another buddy of ours went. They just got off the lake and filled their bull tag! They said it was the 3rd one they called in, with one of the first 2 being quite a bit bigger, but no shot presented itself. Maybe I’ll go with again next year!
IMG_0873.jpeg
IMG_5770.jpeg
IMG_5768.jpeg