Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions On Using a Decoy

Hogmister13

Gonna try a decoy this year, I purchased the Boss Buck. Heard using a buck decoy is a Love/Hate relationship. Seen a lot of guys on YouTube have success and also read that deer blow at it a lot. Anybody used one and what's your experience with the reaction of a MATURE buck. I will be using it in an Open field and not in the woods, I've read its not near as effective in the woods and the are more spooky if used in the woods.

Have the buck decoy facing you, so the incoming buck will try to face the decoy and present you with a shot. I'd recommend dropping an antler off of the decoy buck, to make it less dominant, less intimidating and approachable. An open field application is good, because any decoy deer is going to be seen as an intruder.

A motion tail is an excellent addition to any deer decoy. I used a long piece of white tyvek material, so that the wind would make it move. However, there's a company that sells a motorized version, called tail wagger.com. Primos and other companies have less expensive versions.
The motion of the tail seems to calm the deer and/or makes them more curious.

Good luck, Bowhunter57

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I've used a grazing doe decoy and had groups of does feeding all around it and never bothered them. Have lent it out to a few people and two killed bucks over it. I always seem to get the bucks sketched out when i use it

Reactions: Hogmister13
I have the scarface one which is similar construction to the one you are using. Used is a few times and like others have said it can really be a pain in the ass to set up, haul, etc.. No matter what brand it is have it assembled before you get there because no matter how confident you are at setting it up quietly you will never assemble it quietly. When I did use it I would stash it nearby and simply pull it from the brush (making a nice amount of plastic noise no matter how hard I tried to keep quiet). Does will not like it standing still. Young bucks often just like to fuck with it enough so you have to go and reposition it again.

Oh and the time it actually DID work I saw him from a long ways off as he snuck in slowly like he was stalking it. Once he was within 20-30 yards of it wondering why it didn't move I whistled to my neighbor who was out for a walk to let him know he just stalked my hunting spot and decoy LOL!!

That said, I still may try it if my son wants to but I will likely sell it at some point.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Does hate em. Every buck that sees it will come to it. That’s my experience. And when they do, you could throw rocks at them and they will stay locked on the decoy. I love em for about a week of the season. That week is about here!