Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OSTA - Blackhoof Bowmen

Who all is going? 🤔
It's an hour and 40 minutes for me and I'm leaving here in a few minutes. I'll be shooting my Satori with the Uukah limbs, today. Hope to run into some TOO folks, while I'm there. :cool: I've never shot at the Blackhoof Bowmen club, so it should be interesting. 👍

Jamie

Ohio
Nice club. OSTA been having shoots there for a very long time. Some places on the course are very thick and the skeeters can be bad if it has been wet.

Reactions: brock ratcliff
I didn't read the OSTA rules, before I went to this shoot, but found out about them after I got there. 🙄 No string walking and No Stabilizers. My stabilizer is about 3" long and it's more for vibration dampening and to hold my wrist sling in place. :)

As for the string walking, it sounds like they're trying to restrict how a person shoots their traditional bow. (n)o_O

Anyone trying to improve their shooting accuracy without the use of an actual sight, is a good thing. 💯
Typical archery club rules will state that any stabilizer that is less than 12" long is good and allowed. However, restricting someone's ability to hit the target without the aid of sights, well, that's bordering on being an "elitist" group. :sneaky:

The shoot itself was set up decent....except for 3 targets that clearly had brush/limbs in the way of the target. (n) Not cool and could be considered encouraging to others to take shots like that while hunting. 🚫

Wiley E Coyote

I planned on going but a family gathering popped up so I decided to visit with family we haven't seen in a while. Leaving for Cloverdale on Friday morning then on to Berrien springs Michigan for the Compton shoot the following weekend. For those of you that haven't been it is a great shoot for a Bowhunter. No score cards and lots of targets. Shoot all you want for one price.

Jamie

Ohio
I didn't read the OSTA rules, before I went to this shoot, but found out about them after I got there. 🙄 No string walking and No Stabilizers. My stabilizer is about 3" long and it's more for vibration dampening and to hold my wrist sling in place. :)

As for the string walking, it sounds like they're trying to restrict how a person shoots their traditional bow. (n)o_O

Anyone trying to improve their shooting accuracy without the use of an actual sight, is a good thing. 💯
Typical archery club rules will state that any stabilizer that is less than 12" long is good and allowed. However, restricting someone's ability to hit the target without the aid of sights, well, that's bordering on being an "elitist" group. :sneaky:

The shoot itself was set up decent....except for 3 targets that clearly had brush/limbs in the way of the target. (n) Not cool and could be considered encouraging to others to take shots like that while hunting. 🚫
Maybe you don't really understand what traditional archery actually is? I'll feely admit that the word "traditional" with respect to archery has lost all meaning from misuse and overuse.

You clearly do not understand the rules, though. You can string walk and use a stabilizer and shoot the course however you like with your longbow or recurve, but you cannot PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPETITION (which is only on Sunday at OSTA shoots, anyway) with equipment that is outside of what the rules state for each shooting class.

3D archery shoots are supposed to be fun and challenging, but they are not really hunting, after all. Complaining about how difficult a shot is on an archery course is plain old whining for the sake of doing so. Just because I'd shoot an arrow 100 yards at an elk target with my traditional bow at a 3D shoot is certainly not encouragement to do that in the field.

@Jamie
The rules were explained to me, before I shot the course. :) They said I could shoot with my bow "as is", but it would be for fun only and not count for a score. I also understand the difference between shooting targets at yardages beyond normal hunting ranges and actual hunting. Having said that, I enjoyed the course. 💯 I was impressed with how few skeeters were present. I didn't even use the bug spray that I took with me. The targets were in good shape and at reasonable distances. :cool:
For myself, I will not take shots that have debris between me and the target. I'm not out there to lose or destroy arrows. (n)

Wiley E Coyote

Throw a tent, cooler, grill, bows and arrows in the truck and head out creamer. Cloverdale this weekend Berrien springs MI next. Pick one! The shoot in Michigan is one of the best in the country. Cloverdale was at one time but it has fallen behind. Very few venders there compared to the old days but the course is more enjoyable with less shooters backing up the line😂