Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Otters

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Anyone trapped em. I haven't had the chance to trap for awhile but since moving back I got some people wanting me to trap beaver in the killbuck area and i know there are otters there to. Should I just set like I would for beaver and take whatever incidental catches I can come up with or can I up my odds. I really wanna give a otter a 330 or 280 necklace.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have not had the chance for otters...have not trapped for several years now, but used to be fairly good at it. One of my buddies told me one of his deadliest catches are the crossover. Find where they are crossing from strean to pond or pond to pond ect ect and from there he says it's a no brainer. Extra slick runways coming from the water is his key....Let me know how it works for you as well.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I have not had the chance for otters...have not trapped for several years now, but used to be fairly good at it. One of my buddies told me one of his deadliest catches are the crossover. Find where they are crossing from strean to pond or pond to pond ect ect and from there he says it's a no brainer. Extra slick runways coming from the water is his key....Let me know how it works for you as well.

The 330 and 280 Have to be total under water, so this setup is out of the question. Not sure what County Killbuck is in but the most you can trap is 3 in some countys and 1 in the county I live but there is about half of ohio where you cannot trap at all .(otter). If you are aloud 1 or 3 and you want to trap the beaver, I would just set for beaver and take the bonus if you get one. I have taken 2 over the last 3 years and both came out off a beaver slide.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Did that once in a slew In Mississippi.. I was gonna colony catch a bunch of beavers on a cross over.. I took a 20 foot chain and put 4 Vic Double springs on it... Wrapped the chain around a big ole cyprus and bolted the chain together. Ran the line, staked down every trap. Was gonna get em all in one bang. Came back the next day and the chain was in one big giant ball at the base of the tree.. Every trap stake yanked out and the chain twisted so tight it was one big hard hunk.... Somewhere in that swamp was a big ole gator with 2 traps on his feet... lmao

camofry

*Supporting Member*
After looking , Wayne and Homes countys are both 3 otter countys. Remember, if you are trapping the Killbuck marsh area you can NOT trap beaver or otter there without a permit and them have already been drawn for this season.