Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Patterning Tests for Turkey Hunting

There are a HUGE amount of variables with patterning for Turkey Hunting. The brand/model of shotgun, brand of choke tube (flush mount or extended), barrel length...and then there's the ammo. Shot sizes, shell length, type of shot, amount of shot, etc. :rolleyes: It gets crazy, just thinking about it. o_O
I'm a strong believer in patterning, because, "paper doesn't lie". :cool:

I like to know what my combination is doing, at the yardages that I intend to hunt. (y) My Mossberg 500 Turkey Special has a 20" barrel and an Undertaker choke tube at a .665 restriction. It patterns well, at 20, 30 and 40 yards with Winchester Long Beard 12 gauge, 3", #5 shot size....but it hits approximately 12" to 14" high. The P.O.I. isn't an issue, as I have a red dot sight that I could install to eliminate that issue.
On the other hand...my Remington Versa Max (26" barrel) shoots the same ammo at P.O.A. and produces tighter patterns and increased pellet count. The Versa Max has a Patternmaster Code Black Goose extended choke tube, which surprised me with those results. None the less, this is the combination I'll be carrying into the woods.

What's your turkey hunting combination for this year?
Bowhunter57

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Remington 870 SPS-T. I bought it new in 1995 or 96. I’ve killed over 60 birds with it in various states.
Last year I switched to a Carlson .660 extended choke with Federal TSS HEAVY SHOT #9s. The kids got me a new Bushnell scope for it to replace the Bushnell scope that has been on it for its entire lifetime.

Spencie,
How does the #9 TSS pattern for you, at various yardages?
How far away would you trust it for a kill shot?

I've seen several videos on the TSS #9 and it appears to be very impressive. (y)
Bowhunter57

Also... I've considered adding my Sightmark Ultra Sight (holographic red dot), as opposed to just using the beads on the rib. :unsure:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
It definitely holds a tight pattern at long distances but I don’t remember the exact numbers from last year. I try to keep shots inside of 50 yards but have killed turkeys 52 to 63 yards thinking they were closer. The TSS loads hold a tighter pattern than the federal premium #5s that I used to use and I am confident with them to 60 yards.
I have always used a scope. Put the crosshairs where the head/neck meet and pull the trigger. He will be flopping there.

Reactions: Isaacorps