Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Peeled pine bark. Any ideas what did this?

P8riot

Carbon, In
The old owner was an older woman in her 60s, so I doubt she would have done this. I can't see any teeth or claw marks. She did have a guy/friend coming to cut the grass, but I doubt he would have done this. Any ideas?

20220930_173223.jpg
20220930_173236.jpg
20220930_173227.jpg

P8riot

Carbon, In
I've been here 3 days and EVERY night around 8pm there are these dogs that go ape shit for hours. I'm in the sticks. I'm thinking coon dogs? And they get amped up at night? This isn't attention barking, this is a different barking. Like they are chasing something.

And I found a pile of puke full of french fries yesterday that was fresh from the night before. Could be someone treating dogs with fries or coyotes getting into trash..but who in the world doesnt eat all their fries?! 😄

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Dustinb80

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
"Something" had to have hit the bottom of the limb and tore the outer bark. Those soft pines had a glove like bark that kids then could have pulled off by the edges. Could have been a much smaller hit an the kids picked it apart like a scab.

Odd location for a lightning strike. The piece of bark in the upper right was defiantly pulled back on its self causing the tight curl. The remaining bark looks like it was "gouged" out cross grain then easy lift off... I don't know.

Is that dirt or mud on the exposed limb?