Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's season 2021/2022

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Beautiful morning. Took decoy out. Had decent first year rack 8pt early. Not sure if he saw decoy and turned to go different direction or if he just was wandering in a random direction. He never seemed spooky. I don't think he saw it. Later saw another small buck. Came thru in bow range. Had to get down to do work. He was heading towards my land owner. Hopefully he got a crack at him.

Hunts: 16
Hours hunted: 2.5
Deer seen: 2
Season total hours: 53
Season Deer seen: 31
Bucks: 13
Does: 18
In bow range season total: 16

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hunted last night. Took climber because my stand and sticks need new straps on this property. Had to pause walking in. Saw a big 6pt couple hundred yards out. He moved on scent checking a thicket. I moved in. Found perfect tree for a climber. It had a cluster of maple trees around it offering cover you normally won't have in a "climber tree." Early in the hunt I saw 4 does. 3 tiny as has been common this season. One medium sized. I suspect they were bumped out by a buck. Later saw a tiny solo doe. Likely from the same group. Close to last light I had 3 does come out of the thicket and cross the field on a diagonal. Exited in the opposite corner of the field I was in. I'm sure they crossed my scent path. They were a bit spooky. The two tiny ones both mule kicked in the same place crossing the field. Funny to watch. Sort of like two little kids copy catting each other. I would think they were likely the same ones I had seen earlier. I'll call it 9 total. Most deer I've seen from the stand all year. Even if it was the same 4 does and one buck.

Hunts: 17
Hours hunted: 3.5
Deer seen: 9
Season total hours: 56.5
Season Deer seen: 40
Bucks: 14
Does: 26
In bow range season total: 17

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Snow coming in. Hunted until it started getting heavy. Quit because I may need to go salt. Plus I was ready to eat, poop, and might have dressed a layer too light. The wind was hitting hard. Winds worked for my neighbors woods. Took climber. Couldn't remember which tree was dead ash and which I designated for climber. In the dark the headlamp didn't help. So I trudged in another 100yds or so to a tree I knew was safe. 2/3 up the tree I stopped and waited for a buck to move thru. Never seemed to have a clue I was there. Settled in. Saw 4 does (2 tiny, 1 small, 1 medium) several hundred yards off going into the thicket. Shortly after had two tiny ones behind me roughly 50-60 yards. Nothing for a bit. Later had a group of four so the sneak attack on me. Came from downwind side and sort of on the hustle. Figured a land owner going to church. They tend to bed by his house. They came thru in bow range. Stopped at 10yds. Not sure if it was the same group of 4 as earlier or not. About the same sizes but they would have had to have snuck across the field in front of me if they were the same ones. Roughly 20-30min later saw 3 heading to the thicket. I'd assume these were 3 of the 4 in bow range. Several hundred yards away so I probably missed the 4th one in the leaves. As the snow began I had the two tiny ones in behind me again. They were skittish. Not sure if they were bumped back my way by a buck or just the first time they had seen snow before. Pretty windy too and they seem to be on high alert on the wind. Climbed down to head home. Tossed my gear in the wash. If I'm lucky I'll get out this evening to another location.

I did have 3 bucks on 2 cell cams in the first hour of legal shooting time. Naturally those are on the other two properties I hunt. The wind wasn't right for them. I played it safe. Winds from the south would have blown my scent into them. Sadly, one was a legit shooter. Even more sad? He came from the south and my scent shouldn't have affected him. But. . . I played it safe with scent. They don't generally enter the way he did.

Hunts: 18
Hours hunted: 3
Deer seen: 10
Season total hours: 59.5
Season Deer seen: 50
Bucks: 14
Does: 36
In bow range season total: 21

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First and most important: tonight was the most fun I've had on a hunt all season.

Had shooter on cam this morning while I was at a different property. I saw 10 does on that property but only one dink buck while climbing in. Doesn't make sense to leave a 10 doe property, but it made sense to hunt the property I knew had a legit shooter this morning. Got 10yds from stand. Saw a deer 75-100yds away. Waited and waited. Thought it was safe. Moved the last ten yards and he took off. Crap!

Short version: nonstop action. Had a 2.5yr old go by at 20yds. Just not a shooter. Had 4-6 does. Couldn't confirm because they were weaving in and out of the area like mad. Deer 360 degrees around me and all within 100-200yds. Finally had a legit shooter seen on the hoof. He followed oath of the 2.5yr old. Stopped around 45yds. Opted to take a different trail. Heart rate was up. Had him within 100yds on three different occasions in three different spots. It is thick in there and he lives to chase does tonight. If it was gun season I would be done.

Only other interesting note: had grunting and chasing. No antlers. I thought maybe a doe running her yearling off, but the grunting had me confused. Could have been a tiny spike or button buck I suppose.

Five within 20yds tonight. No shots fired.
All the fun. None of the mess.

Hunts: 19
Hours hunted: 3
Deer seen: 7
Season total hours: 62.5
Season Deer seen: 57
Bucks: 16
Does: 41
In bow range season total: 25

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Rough morning. Had to force myself to go hunting. Exhausted. Didn't want to get up. Made it out. Had doe being chased by 2.5yr old. Was at full draw on him. Couldn't do it. Not enough burger in those bones. Funky rack. In person it looked like left side still had velvet. Hard telling. Later had momma and two youngins come under my stand. Her button buck looked tasty but I passed. They meandered around a bit. Came back thru. Had picked up two more. Then I heard a train. Seldom used tracks. Train had them moving. It passed. They moseyed back the direction they originated. Decided to get down. Train came back thru. Now the train is stopped right where I need to cross to get to my truck. Need a new exit strategy that doesn't involve jumping over a train. The conductor doesn't like that stuff. Lol

Here is the funky rack i passed.
Screenshot_20211115-082635.png

Hunts: 20
Hours hunted: 4
Deer seen: 7
Season total hours: 66.5
Season Deer seen: 64
Bucks: 17
Does: 47
In bow range season total: 30

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hunted. Walking in I see three deer 1/4 mile south. One being a shooter. After that it was just sitting in a tree getting hammered by the wind. Saw zero deer. That's okay. Pulled the cam cards on the way out. Looks like I should have been in the stand 2hrs earlier. Then I'd have had a shot at him.

Hunts: 21
Hours hunted: 2.5
Deer seen: 0
Season total hours: 69
Season Deer seen: 64
Bucks: 17
In bow range season total: 30

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like the hunter who shot a deer on Oct 20 on a neighboring property did make a lethal shot. Appeared to be a gut shot. Farmer found it while turning dirt. I'd say the hunter bumped it looking that night. It went another few hundred yards.
PXL_20211116_002802194.jpg
PXL_20211116_002748160.jpg
Would have been a dandy. Probably 2.5yr old. Farmer said it had small hooves and body looked small. Granted, it had been laying there close to a month. Hard to say how big it was on the hoof.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hunted this morning. Story in the Ukrainian IKS thread. Cat and mouse game is over with that 8pt. Been a difficult season for getting on big deer. I've seen this 8pt twice in the last week. He is the biggest I've seen from the stand and the one I had sort of figured out. Not that you ever really figure them out, but I was learning his moves. Very thankful to have tagged him.

Hunts: 22
Hours hunted: 1.5
Deer seen: 2
Season total hours: 70.5
Season Deer seen: 66
Bucks: 19
In bow range season total: 31

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Always fun to find pics of the buck you killed a week or two or three after you kill him. Made me smile. Of the bucks on this camera pull, there are two similar 8pts but not quite as big as the one I killed. One had a week left side but near identical right side. Another was very similar and very symmetrical but a tad smaller and narrower. I'd guess 122-128" buck. Then a 10 pt with shorter tines but similar sized frame who had a second brow on his left side. While my buck this year was likely a 3.5yr old and "should" have done great things next year or the year after. . . He is dead now and I'm happy. lol

I'm a little biased, but I think he looks bad ass here. Must've been a windy night. Camera said 29 but he looked bristled up like when it is extra cold.

Hoping for a nice birthing season next spring. Be nice to see the herd rebound a bit. I might even shoot a doe locally next year if they do.

11160502.JPG
11160503.JPG
11160504.JPG
11160505.JPG
11160506.JPG
11160507.JPG
11160508.JPG
11160509.JPG
11160510.JPG