Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plumbing (kind of?) Issue

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
So my wife and I finally found a house we liked, and actually had our offer accepted. We closed a few days ago, and the projects started. We agreed it needed a new tub and shower down stairs, so I ripped out the old one. Everything has been going reasonably smooth (especially for a dipshit that has 0 plumbing or renovation experience) until today. All of my shower panels are fitted perfectly, when I realized that my handles for the water will not work. The attachment for the handles are not long enough. My question is, is there such a thing as an extension so I have enough room? Or am I stuck cutting off the whole deal and replacing it with something with longer stems? The current threaded part doesn’t stick out far enough for the cover/ cap thing. I’ll attach photos so this kind of makes sense hopefully. I don’t know any terms, but I do know those shark bite things are fuggin tits lol. I also have a video giving a little more clarity, and I’d be more than willing to text or email it to anyone that has sound advice for me. I appreciate any insight, thanks fellas.
IMG_5563.jpeg
IMG_5562.jpeg
IMG_5565.jpeg
IMG_5567.jpeg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Yes, handle extensions exist. Easier to set the valve to the correct depth of the deck tho. A simple 45* fitting on the vertical feed line and shower riser might get you the needed closure.

What's that hot leg tag? Who's make of valve or cast in pn?

I'd been happy to send you a new Moen posi-temp single handle shower setup. Looks like ya already committed to the 3 handle version tho.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure on the extensions but I trust Adam’s recommendation.

I’m as big a fan of Sharkbite fittings as the next person, but I would not install them inside a closed wall. They are sensitive to alignment. Enough vibration from water hammer and normal use could potentially misalign them over time and result in a leak… a leak you won’t know exists until significant damage has been done. Hate to say it, but I think I would start over if it were me.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Thanks for the input, I’m likely going to change out the existing fixture (don’t know what it’s called) when I get back over there Sunday unless I come up with a different solution. The place I used the shark bites was recommended to me by a friend that does this type of stuff for a living, so I’m assuming they’ll be fine where they are? Again I’m clueless so I’ll take any help I can get. God forbid I ever get a leak, it’ll quickly be found in the basement since whoever put the last tub in made a hole that is plenty big for the drain. Thankfully the plumbing side wall shares a big closet wall with a shitty cover so it will be easily accessible. The shower walls haven’t been installed, so everything is still wide open.

Reactions: 5Cent