Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pocket Pistol

Huckleberry Finn

It looks like with a last check from my fellowship and cash from working on the side, I'm going to finally buy a pistol in the next month. The goal is to pay cash for it by the 4th of July, but thinking about it, I think I will be able to get it before the TOO campout! Everybody bring a new box of ammo and shoot in my new pistol!

I'm about 75% certain that I'll be getting a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380. I want to look at Ruger's LC9 before I buy it, but I'm pretty excited after talking about this forever to finally get it...

Thoughts, anyone?

Also, throwing it out there if anyone has a good carry pistol that they'll be selling in the next month, I'm interested!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I might have one. Depends on what size pocket you have. Its only like 3 pounds. Would fit in a hoodie pocket. Lmao.

Huckleberry Finn,
There are lots of thoughts on CCW pistols and since it's a very personal choice, the thoughts are great and wide. :smiley_chinrub:

I would never carry any smaller caliber than .38 spl. or .357 mag., in a revolver and 9mm would be the smallest in a semi-auto. There are huge "caliber wars" on this thought alone. Granted, nobody wants to get shot, but I figure if I'm the one doing the shooting I'd prefer to be telling the ONLY story as to what happened. :smiley_bril:

Other thoughts:
* Carry weight of the pistol
* Large calibers and small handguns do NOT mix
* Where to carry ie. belt, shoulder, ankle, etc.
* Back up pistol...Y/N?
* Back up ammo...Y/N?
* Revolver vs. Semi-Auto

Here are some forums to help:
http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum
www.defensivecarry.com/forums/forums.php
www.ohioccwforums.org/

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Huckleberry Finn,
There are lots of thoughts on CCW pistols and since it's a very personal choice, the thoughts are great and wide. :smiley_chinrub:

I would never carry any smaller caliber than .38 spl. or .357 mag., in a revolver and 9mm would be the smallest in a semi-auto. There are huge "caliber wars" on this thought alone. Granted, nobody wants to get shot, but I figure if I'm the one doing the shooting I'd prefer to be telling the ONLY story as to what happened. :smiley_bril:

Other thoughts:
* Carry weight of the pistol
* Large calibers and small handguns do NOT mix
* Where to carry ie. belt, shoulder, ankle, etc.
* Back up pistol...Y/N?
* Back up ammo...Y/N?
* Revolver vs. Semi-Auto

Here are some forums to help:
http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum
www.defensivecarry.com/forums/forums.php
www.ohioccwforums.org/

Good Advice 57.

Huckleberry Finn,
Just thought of something else... If you've not purchased a handgun, yet...I strongly suggest you go to an indoor range, pay the fees, purchase the ammo and shoot as many handguns as you can physically put your hands on. Or at least as many as you have an interest in owning. This will be money and time well spent. :smiley_bril:

When you think about the hard earned money that you're going to spend on a handgun, having "buyers remorse" is a bad thing. I was certain that I was going to purchase a full sized 1911, for a CCW and after handling/firing a few, I had a change of mind. :smiley_chinrub:

I ended up with a Smith&Wesson M&P in 9mm. I switch back and forth from a 38 spl. to my M&P, based on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

Good luck with your choices!

Huckleberry Finn

If you've not purchased a handgun, yet...I strongly suggest you go to an indoor range, pay the fees, purchase the ammo and shoot as many handguns as you can physically put your hands on. Or at least as many as you have an interest in owning. This will be money and time well spent.

Yup, I've done this a little bit. I've shot a Ruger LCP and I know that I don't like 'em. I will try to shoot the BG380 before I buy it...and if it doesn't work out, my dad and brother both have their cash saved for the same gun.

Huckleberry Finn

Oh, and can one of you in that NE part of the state recommend a good gun shop? I was in Gander in Twinsburg this week and was not impressed with their stock or employees.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Oh, and can one of you in that NE part of the state recommend a good gun shop? I was in Gander in Twinsburg this week and was not impressed with their stock or employees.

I know of one in Ashtabula county-in the village of Jefferson (county seat) Let me know...

I general, your best bet is NOT to rely much on store staff. Only price. (sad but true)
TOO bad we aren't closer. I'd be happy to break out a few for you to try for hands on time.
Do you have it down to a few or are you still trying to pick a caliber?

Huckleberry Finn

I general, your best bet is NOT to rely much on store staff. Only price. (sad but true)
TOO bad we aren't closer. I'd be happy to break out a few for you to try for hands on time.
Do you have it down to a few or are you still trying to pick a caliber?
\

Let me know when you are home and I will make the drive!

I'm 75% set on the BG380...

Huckleberry Finn,
Have you been to Fin Feather & Fur or Sportsman's Den? They both have websites that are pretty accurate for pricing. I highly recommend Sportsman's Den, as that's where I purchased my Stevens 200 in .25-06. It's almost 2 hours away from me, but well worth the drive, as the store is like a "mini" Cabelas...without the high prices.
www.sportsmansdeninc.com
www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Huck, have you looked at any of the Bersa's? I was impressed with them..... The wife has the Thunder in .380 Crimson Grips and it's a little tack driver.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard the same about the Thunder and I have also heard of jamming issues. Seems like 200-300 rounds through them and they lose their jamming issues from everything I read on them though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We've got about 150-200 rounds and no jams, maybe we got lucky.... But I did polish everything before we shot it....

Huckleberry Finn

57 - yea, we've bought several guns from the Den in the last few years and I normally stop at the Fin on my way to and from work...they've been closed the last couple times though and they'll be closed tonight!

J - I actually held one at Gander the other day, seems like a nice gun.

Yes Sportsmens Den in Shelby is a cool store with good prices. It's 3 hours away from where I live but I was up that way working last year and made the trip down to their store. Very friendly staff and knowledgeable. They had a demo version of the hoyt carbon maxxis that they let me sling about 20 arrows through.

twireman

Kingston, OH
I would recommend the bodyguard w/ the laser....I've enjoyed mine so far and I'm taking the CCW class w/ it this Sunday. Can't go wrong w/ Smith and Wesson.