Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pole barn must haves...

One thing with doors is to check on your taxes. If I put garage doors on my pole building in PA it was then considered a garage and my taxes were quite a bit more than if I put on sliding doors. I went with the sliders. I built mine myself. Really they aren't that hard to put up with a little help. YOu can rent a post hole auger fairly cheap to do the holes.

Reactions: 5Cent and giles
Also watch the quality of the steel siding. There is differences in it as well. I bought mine years ago from Carter Lumber. They had a program that you could go in and explain what you want and they would design on the computer. This would give you blueprints and all materials that you need.

Reactions: giles and Sgt Fury

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Run the spare conduit. Even if you never use it. Propane tank off the rear of barn will work too. If you needed to you could seta separate tank just for the building. I've done it in the past. Check with insurance company in regards to wood burner. (If that is a future consideration.) They are not fans of wood burners in garages.

Natural light? They make steel panels with built in clear plastic sections. Great way to add some light without windows.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Put doors on both ends if your site allows for it. It can be nice to just pull through sometimes if you have something on a hitch. Or if you are parking things in line.

Helps with a breeze too. The FILs shop has doors on both ends and it's a lifesaver to have them both open in the summer when you're in there working.

Reactions: 5Cent

Bowkills

Nw oh
Barn style doors?

Garage doors?

Roll up doors?

I don’t think I’ll do any windows. Maybe one or two south facing ones in the future. Trying to get ass much building as I can for the money. I plan to call a logging person to come pay me for the lumber. Transfer those funds to dig a pond for site prep fill.
Instead of the logger rapping you cutting those logs and build your barn with that lumber and get native hardwood for the price of less than the soft as Cotten pine. My buddy built a hell of a barn as u described for cheap.......

Reactions: giles

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I second the metal interior. At a minimum do the ceiling in metal. Go taller. Go wider. Go longer. It is never big enough. I second the big electric service as well. 220 air compressor/welders/plasma cutters tend to happen.