Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Popcorn vs Field corn

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
For a long time there has been a lot of pop corn grown in my county. Now this year there are only two farmers who have contracts to grow popcorn. In my experience and observations during winter time feeding, popcorn is the last resort. Usually prolonged periods of snow or cold, and later in the season, you will see deer finally hitting those cut fields. They only seem to like popcorn for one thing, ...cover. I am hoping with less popcorn grown and more field corn available after the harvest that the deer will not be as stressed and have a quicker recovery heading into spring and antler growing season. Which I hope means more and bigger bucks in the next few years!! Whats others opinions on this topic?

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Or, did that just take away a late season food?

I don't think so, I had a woods last year, popcorn around two sides and winter wheat on the other sides. Deer all winter long in the wheat. I walked that popcorn field all winter and spring. A few spots where they turned the snow up, the wheat field always looked like some one swept it off. There was a bean field to the east, they would even walk 1/2 mile to get to that cut bean field. ....I mean I could be wrong and I usually am!!!