Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Popped the cherry

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I was fishing on the pond in the back yard last evening for bluegill, and pulled my first ever walleye through the ice......he was about 22 inches long. Caught him on a small glow jig tipped with a wax worm right at sunset.

Now I know why there were no bluegill around, never caught any!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow that's an awesome catch, Chad! I'm hoping to bring my first ice walleye up on monday... heading over to New London Reservoir.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Wonder how many made it? And I wonder if they're reproducing.

Nice catch!

Unless an all male class of fish can reproduce, then no they are not reproducing.....lol

To my knowledge all the fish I put in there were Jacks.

All of the fish made it, but I have lost a couple due to swallowed hooks.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Unless an all male class of fish can reproduce, then no they are not reproducing.....lol

To my knowledge all the fish I put in there were Jacks.

All of the fish made it, but I have lost a couple due to swallowed hooks.

We'll work on that in the spring (hard female).

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
How big is your pond? Don't walleye need a bigger body of water?

It's 3/4 acre. They have been in there 4 years now and are doing fine. There are plenty of bluegill and I stock fathead minnows every spring. It was just an experiment to start with, but now its turned into a project to see what different types of bait they can be caught on.

A 4-6" bluegill hooked through the back works real good suspended under a bobber about 4'. Also, all the regular live baits such as worms and minnows will work. I even caught one at night one time fishing for catfish on a piece of hot dog!