Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Portable generator recommendations???

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Honda EB2200. For me all I would want is to keep the fridge and freeze running. With the Honda you could use it for everything. Quiet enough that you could run it in camp with no complaints.

Reactions: 5Cent

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have this. Only have used it a couple times. Every 4-6 weeks I run it for an hour or 2 under load. Use gas with no ethanol and keep staybil in it. It starts on 1 or 2 pulls every time.
08C854F7-B4F4-4BD7-9F2B-DC301AB6B967.jpeg
DBE45BB4-3827-4B8A-965D-D824FF53EBC5.jpeg

steveOh

Dayton Area
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

First of all I what to thank you all for the input. Well, today my neighbor needed some help moving some things around in his yard and while over there I mentioned that I was looking to buy a generator. As soon as he heard that he led me over to his shed and uncovered a brand new Predator 9000/7250. He said that he was at Harbor Freight this morning and happened across this generator and it was marked down. He jumped on it for about $550. He also said that it would be enough to run both our houses and that he would hook it up to my fuse box. All I would need to do is to buy the appropriate extension cords. He is an electrician :)

Now I need to get off this computer and go buy a lottery ticket😲

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hard to go wrong there. Sounds like a great plan. Like Sam, I'd suggest running it periodically.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
How awesome it that! Congrats Steve!! It appears that you have a real great neighbor, that's pretty darn cool and glad it all worked out for you!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I stolen this thing!

Duel Fuel - Propane/Gasoline and a higher continuous output than my Briggs & Stratton for both. Propane 10,800/8,550 & Gasoline 12,000//9,500 watts with a 3 year manufacturer warrantee. The guy even showed me his original purchasing receipt from 3 months ago for nearly $1,100 bucks and I got it for a whole lot less than that, cash money! He bought one of those smaller quieter ones instead.

I don't have to worry about noise because I live in the country and my neighbors wouldn't be able to hear any of my generators if they wanted too.

View attachment 134585View attachment 134586

Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with it thus far. Just need to break it in, which I'll do later cause I have to head back out here real soon.

Again, I have a much smaller older generator I'd be interested in getting rid of if anyone might be interested. Just PM me and I'll send photos with whatever I think I might want for it, which really wouldn't be much at all. Like I stated previously, I used it mainly for fresh construction sites/jobs when no utility electric was available for my saws, drills, lights or whatever, and it is gasoline only.
20230216_171122.jpg

Heavy downpour about an hour ago, which raised the creek water about another foot.

Fired right up without a problem.

We lost utility for about 10 minutes half hour ago. Was back on before I was able to see how she's gonna handle this new season of future rough weather and brown outs.
Genny really hasn't been fully tested quiet yet, but I also do not expect any problems from her neither. I ran it under load shortly after I bought it for about 6 hours, changed the oil, then put her away with no fuel. Today is the first time I pulled her out since and she fired right up without a hitch. A little dusty, but she ran perfectly. Pretty happy about it.

Anyway, hope everyone is ready for spring because I sure am.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
View attachment 173479
Heavy downpour about an hour ago, which raised the creek water about another foot.

Fired right up without a problem.

We lost utility for about 10 minutes half hour ago. Was back on before I was able to see how she's gonna handle this new season of future rough weather and brown outs.
Genny really hasn't been fully tested quiet yet, but I also do not expect any problems from her neither. I ran it under load shortly after I bought it for about 6 hours, changed the oil, then put her away with no fuel. Today is the first time I pulled her out since and she fired right up without a hitch. A little dusty, but she ran perfectly. Pretty happy about it.

Anyway, hope everyone is ready for spring because I sure am.
Exactly how will a generator help with brown outs? The only way i know to help with a brown out is with a VERY GOOD battery system protector that maintains the voltage during a brown out but I've never seen a whole house one.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I'll be damed...

Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Exactly how will a generator help with brown outs? The only way i know to help with a brown out is with a VERY GOOD battery system protector that maintains the voltage during a brown out but I've never seen a whole house one.
One of the hats I wear often is my electric one.

Any other stable power supply is better than an unstable or unpredictable one, or none at all.

Flickering lights or loosing utility electric momentarily regularly, going off and then back on, back and forth, never stabilizing, then I'd strongly recommend to open the main breaker/disconnect/feed of the electric circuit.

Single phasing and/or slapping highline conductors will cause serious damage to most anything that requires significant amount of power generally (high demand) or anything that is sensitive with minimal tolerances of voltage fluctuations and/or drops, such as most any multiple electric phase electrical motor along with nearly all micro electronic equipment.

My best recommendation under such electrical supply conditions is to transfer over to a more stable electric power source, or nothing at all until the electric issue can be resolved.

If you checkout my first post within this thread, you'll then see what UPS equipment I use, sell and recommend for all critical micro electronic equipment protection. I stand behind thier products 💯 %, and certified and trained on the larger units.

Also trained & certified on multiple large commercial Liebert UPS unit systems with large auto transfer switches for any small to large commercial type datacenters, requiring any UPS unit size from 100KVA and up.

Got educated and trained in Columbus, Ohio at their main branch office back in the early 90's.

Living where I live today, we experience fluctuating utility electric power more than what I'd ever care for.

Anytime during medocher wind type storm conditions, or possibly flying/falling tree limbs debris on electrical highlines are the usual culprits of brown outs, and at times, when there's too much slack in any overhead high-voltage highline conductor between utility towers or poles, and/or such conductors (plural) can slap together, ususally from strong swirling type winds, that cause either/or surges and/or electric circuit direct shorts within the whatever given electric circuit utility power source.

A generator in combination with serge/ups protection for critical and/or micro sensitive systems will work much better than nothing at all, or remaining on an unstable power source/supply.

Last edited:
I'll be damed...

Now that is slick. 14 1/2 hr on a 20 lb tank and it's quiet.