Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Purchasing hunting/retirement land - tips and caveats?

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I'm going to be looking to retire sometime in the next ten years or so and want to settle down on some hunting land. Right now I'm considering Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee, but nothing concrete. I'm also running into some 'analysis paralysis'. So I figured i would ask you folks. There's not much in the way of outdoor experience that isn't covered by folks on here.

If you've purchased rural land, what process did you follow? How did it work out? If you haven't purchased rural land, how would you go about doing it?

Should I narrow down where I want to be and then only focus on land in that area, or should I look for land all over the state(s) and maximize my options? Should I employ a realtor to help in my search or should I find the land on my own and then contact the realtor associated with the parcel? I'm also worried about how to secure said property and real estate I build on it if I'm going to be traveling for months at a time after retirement. Is that a valid concern? Lastly, what are some tips or warnings you can give me about the process of finding land to buy? Right of ways, easements, etc?

Right now I'm looking at small parcels between 50-100 acres, if that makes a difference.

Jamie

Ohio
In May of 2018 I closed on 65.53 acres in eastern Licking county. I had never bought land before, so I didn't really follow a process, per se. In 2017 after 40 years of hunting a farm in southern Ohio I was told to not come back. I needed a place to hunt, so I started looking online at acreage for sale in the area(s) I was interested in hunting. which was Licking, Muskingum, Coshocton counties. I live in Licking county. When I found a parcel that looked suitable and was in my price range I made arrangements to see the property. I reviewed dozens of properties online and walked four other properties before I found the one I bought. I was not interested in a house, just land to call my own, primarily for deer hunting. For me, it was more important to me to look in specific areas with quality deer hunting and within reasonable driving distance since I am not going to live there. Now with Intel, Amazon, Google and Microsoft taking over Licking county, we have a new problem. We will be moving for sure, perhaps even out of state. I'm semi-retired and can quit working tomorrow if I want, but my wife has 5 more years before she can retire. It will be a couple more years before we can really make any serious decisions about where to live out our days, but it won't be in Licking county, that is for sure.

I used Landwatch and Zillow, maybe some others to search. You can set parameters and get notified when something that matches comes on the market.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
If you’re planning to live there, especially in retirement, give consideration to amenities and services in the area. Most of us want to be off the beaten path, but at any age and with a family, or specifically in retirement age, a grocery store, a hospital/ambulance ride, and even a hotel for family and/or while building a home will be important.

Buckmaster

Portage
This has been on my radar also. I'm leaning towards the southern swamps. Those people can literally live off the barter system. Those back country lots are full of rich people without any income. Problem I haven't figured out is how I become a local.
Ok Shelby.

• Haha
Reactions: giles

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
First thing to do is to narrow down your search area. Try to decide which state, then which counties within that state. Call the game wardens in those area as well as the biologist and ask plenty of questions about the deer herd, hunting pressure, etc. When I purchased land in Vinton county ohio, I spoke to a warden and brought up the fact that I may build a small hunting lodge on the property because the nearest decent motel was in Logan in Hocking county (45 minute drive each way from hotel to property). He told me to stay with the hotel because living 8 1/2 hours away, it was pretty much guaranteed that every time I came to camp, I would find it broken into. He said drugs are a huge problem and they would target the camp. His parents lived in the area and one day they went to the grocery store and returned to find their home was broken into.…and if I’m not there for months on end, they would make it a regular stop. Info like this is invaluable and it helped me decide to stay with the motel.

Once you narrow down your locations, do a google search of realtors in those counties. Check daily as hunting land can go really fast. Walk the property and look for signs of other hunters along the property lines, quad trails coming onto your property and houses that are bordering it. All of these signs are good indications that you’ll have trespassers when you ain’t there. Have it surveyed and post the shit out of it. You’ll probably get more bang for your buck by going with a home/land type of realtor and avoiding the “mossy oak” type of realtor as they usually jack up the price considerably. It took over 3 years of searching and I walked dozens of properties before I found the right one…take your time and find one that is perfect.

Making friends with a local is a great way to have someone keep an eye on the place while you’re not there. A bottle of bourbon and something as small as a box of salty water taffy goes a long way.

Check for deed restrictions and see if you can get a tax break by applying for programs such as the Ohio Forest Tax Law or CAUV. I enrolled in the CAUV and paid only $80 per year on 29 acres. I pay over $10,000 on my 7 acres and home here in NJ and pay another $500 on 8 acres of swampland that is used only for hunting.(unbuildable)

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
First thing to do is to narrow down your search area. Try to decide which state, then which counties within that state. Call the game wardens in those area as well as the biologist and ask plenty of questions about the deer herd, hunting pressure, etc. When I purchased land in Vinton county ohio, I spoke to a warden and brought up the fact that I may build a small hunting lodge on the property because the nearest decent motel was in Logan in Hocking county (45 minute drive each way from hotel to property). He told me to stay with the hotel because living 8 1/2 hours away, it was pretty much guaranteed that every time I came to camp, I would find it broken into. He said drugs are a huge problem and they would target the camp. His parents lived in the area and one day they went to the grocery store and returned to find their home was broken into.…and if I’m not there for months on end, they would make it a regular stop. Info like this is invaluable and it helped me decide to stay with the motel.

Once you narrow down your locations, do a google search of realtors in those counties. Check daily as hunting land can go really fast. Walk the property and look for signs of other hunters along the property lines, quad trails coming onto your property and houses that are bordering it. All of these signs are good indications that you’ll have trespassers when you ain’t there. Have it surveyed and post the shit out of it. You’ll probably get more bang for your buck by going with a home/land type of realtor and avoiding the “mossy oak” type of realtor as they usually jack up the price considerably. It took over 3 years of searching and I walked dozens of properties before I found the right one…take your time and find one that is perfect.

Making friends with a local is a great way to have someone keep an eye on the place while you’re not there. A bottle of bourbon and something as small as a box of salty water taffy goes a long way.

Check for deed restrictions and see if you can get a tax break by applying for programs such as the Ohio Forest Tax Law or CAUV. I enrolled in the CAUV and paid only $80 per year on 29 acres. I pay over $10,000 on my 7 acres and home here in NJ and pay another $500 on 8 acres of swampland that is used only for hunting.(unbuildable)
Thanks so much for this info, SF! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I don’t know your monies but most people buy land w a return. Whether it be ag or a government program such as crp. Buy the most that you can, 10 years from now you will wish you’ve bought double. One of the most important thing to realize is, it’s more about what your neighbors do. You can have the best property, genetics and habitat but it means nothing if your neighbors are not aligned somewhat in your vision. Owning land w a 7-8% return, have opportunities to great hunting is the bees knees. Good luck.

P8riot

Carbon, In
The guy behind me is selling. Western IN though. And hes asking quite a bit. It does have a decent looking cabin with a well and electrical. He lives in it and its perfect for a couple. Nice "A" Frame and a small barn. Small, but its done pretty nice. There is a real nice field for a huge food plot, a stream, an apple orchard and its tucked waaaay back off the road, but close to amenities. I know myself and the other neighbor are great and would look after the place! There are really nice ATV trails down there! Taxes are dirt cheap because he has 10 continuous wooded acres so it qualifies for $1 per acre. I think its around 60 some acres. The guy is wanting to move to NW OH. What an idiot! 😆

He is trying to sell to the Amish and my neighbor and I are freaking out. They will strip every tree off the land. My neighbor and I want the woods. I would buy a parcel behind me from him, but I'm more worried about the parcel next to me. That guys is getting old and I HAVE to buy that when he sells. My neighbor and I are going to split that cost. If my neighbor and I buy that land, it leaves that one between us. We would have an awesome sanctuary back here. I'm really worried about who's going to move there.

I'm in Parke County which was a mecca for monsters some years ago. I haven't seen any but I have seen pictures! Theres a ton of just woods here and I haven't even scratched the surface of whats around. Nice and hilly. Reminds me of Western PA.

The biggest problem I ran into when looking for anything with property in OH was mineral rights. Everyone wanted to hang onto those there! Screw that! Make sure they are written in that you get all rights above and below ground. Easements are typically written in as well. It will be disclosed that there is an easement to your propety or there is one on your property.

Last edited:
I just went through the search for having some midwest hunting land in a second chapter of life relocation area....which is why I am active on this forum and no longer a ghost. We live in a great area of western NY....but that NY part is problematic (being tied to NYC).

Here are a few of my thoughts based on experience:
List what matters most to you (location, size, amenities, etc) before looking, and dont waver
This also will allow you to pull the trigger fast, and if youre slow- youre out.
If youre anxious youre also in trouble
Do not quote or think about what prices and availiibility were in the past. Thats over, gone and aint comin back
Forget THE site to use, be on them all twice a day ...and tell everyone you know you're looking for land to buy- word of mouth may be the ticket
Talk to every realtor you can, trust none of them, and stick at it yourself.
(The ones with a deer on the sign tend to be the least of value.)
Forget taxes just focus on the "neighborhood" and needs related to my first point. Its like a pound dog seeming "cheap" vs a purebred
Neighborhood is everything. Trashy yards=Problems. Property line issues, atvs, loose pets, targets in yards, who eyeball you rolling through, etc. DO NOT downplay this part. It will make or break a property and there are more chit bags out there than good people....forgive me being a cynic
Invasive plants....all I can say is if you want to buy a place with a bunch is that it will take far more time and money than youre planning on
Roads, utilities and public service..... ive seen some that would have a fella trapped for a day or three with a good ice or snow.
The place we landed on isnt far from a city but this was not my list. I find the close to whatever is needed part to be a huge bonus though.

It took me 5+ years of lazy looking and a few of trying hard and driving often to find one. I lost out on some bidding, missed a couple and only regret passing a couple. The listings are never what youre buying. Good luck and pm me if i could be of help.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I just went through the search for having some midwest hunting land in a second chapter of life relocation area....which is why I am active on this forum and no longer a ghost. We live in a great area of western NY....but that NY part is problematic (being tied to NYC).

Here are a few of my thoughts based on experience:
List what matters most to you (location, size, amenities, etc) before looking, and dont waver
This also will allow you to pull the trigger fast, and if youre slow- youre out.
If youre anxious youre also in trouble
Do not quote or think about what prices and availiibility were in the past. Thats over, gone and aint comin back
Forget THE site to use, be on them all twice a day ...and tell everyone you know you're looking for land to buy- word of mouth may be the ticket
Talk to every realtor you can, trust none of them, and stick at it yourself.
(The ones with a deer on the sign tend to be the least of value.)
Forget taxes just focus on the "neighborhood" and needs related to my first point. Its like a pound dog seeming "cheap" vs a purebred
Neighborhood is everything. Trashy yards=Problems. Property line issues, atvs, loose pets, targets in yards, who eyeball you rolling through, etc. DO NOT downplay this part. It will make or break a property and there are more chit bags out there than good people....forgive me being a cynic
Invasive plants....all I can say is if you want to buy a place with a bunch is that it will take far more time and money than youre planning on
Roads, utilities and public service..... ive seen some that would have a fella trapped for a day or three with a good ice or snow.
The place we landed on isnt far from a city but this was not my list. I find the close to whatever is needed part to be a huge bonus though.

It took me 5+ years of lazy looking and a few of trying hard and driving often to find one. I lost out on some bidding, missed a couple and only regret passing a couple. The listings are never what youre buying. Good luck and pm me if i could be of help.
Wow! Thanks so much for writing this up and offering advice. I sincerely appreciate it! Between your post and SFs its pretty clear that this is going to be a process and that I will have to be very careful of the environment if I want to have anything nice. It also helps focus my efforts and what to expect from a timeline perspective. Much appreciated!

Stressless

Keene, OH
@Tipmoose - great idea and thread, the above focus on neighbors at your 'to be' farm is spot on. I met my neighbor Cliff and we've become good friends, share trail cam pics, chores etc -and- security.

This TOO thread in on that topic, better to have security outcome in mind as you're looking for and adjudicating the potential parcels. Best of luck.

Reactions: Tipmoose

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My best advice… Do your homework, all of it, and then do it again, and again, and again. Go into a negotiation or an auction knowing exactly what you’re willing to spend/what you can afford. Have a plan and stick to it. Do not let emotions cloud your judgement. Buying land is a very big deal… do not take the process lightly.