Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Quartering TOO Shots

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
The way I was always looked at was if the deer is facing away quartered, I would aim for where the rib cage started and towords opposite shoulder....but you all know how I shoot.....

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
The way I was always looked at was if the deer is facing away quartered, I would aim for where the rib cage started and towords opposite shoulder....but you all know how I shoot.....

There are couple of deer running our woods that know all too well! LOL!!! Well, one less. He's in the freezer! ;)

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
As alot of you said, it depends on conditions, but i typically will not take the shot.If it's slighty quartering too, then ya i should feel confident with the shot, but if it's a bad angle, no way. I shouldered a buck last year that was quartering too, it really wasant too bad of an angle but it was enough to not let my arrow slip by and hit the vitals. learned my lesson the hard way.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess the biggest concern I have with this shot is penetration. I was always under the impression that the bones in that area were thicker and a bit closer together. On a quarting away shot, I am positive I will get the penetration I need to puncture a lung.

You guys that have actually taken that shot, do you aim just inside the shoulder, between the neck and the shoulder, or do you got for the opening where the neck meets the rib cage?

I realize in this picture, this deer is almost head on, but lets say he is slightly quartering TOO (haha Matt) from left to right. Would you place your shot at the red dot, looking to punch through the rib cage (pretend the right front leg is back), or would you put it in the soft spot at the base of the neck (yellow)?

Deer%20photo.jpg

I'm still not sure if this is a shot I would feel comfortable taking, but I suppose given the right circumstances (inside 20y), it could be an effective shot. Again, thanks for the input fellas! TOO is the best!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's kind of tough to imagine the deer in your picture at a less harsh of an angle and then envision the point of impact... so I'm going to base my response on the exact position in your photo. At that angle, your red dot is going to hit bone and either stop the arrow completely, or send a glancing arrow back into the paunch. I would aim for the yellow dot, if I were up in a tree. If I were on the ground, I would aim about 2" lower than the yellow dot in hopes of driving one through the heart.

For me personally, although I'm confident in my equipment, I don't want to intentionally aim at a spot with strong bone behind it. On a quartering-to shot, there's two spots I would aim depending on severity of the angle... either just behind the humerus or in front of everything. If the angle will allow me to hit vitals through either one these openings, I'll take the shot. I'm definitely not scared to send one through the front of a deer. Hell, Mike Beatty shot his monster buck right down through the base of the neck as it was looking up at him, if I'm not mistaken.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Okay Greg. I am not taking a shot at the deer you pictured. When I think of slightly quartering too, I sort of envision how my deer is facing the camera in this picture. He was in close and I was 15-18' up. I aimed just behind the shoulder as he was quartering too, and it exited through the belly hairs. Best choice for a shot? Probably not, but even though I had a smaller window to hit the vitals, I was confident I would hit that window. Maybe my photo will be a better one to put a dot on. I already put a dot on there for you though. hahaha Maybe the angle my deer is facing in this photo, some of you guys would just consider a less than perfect broadside? After looking at the picture again, he might have been just a yard or two more to the right of the camera.

DSCN1841 Nov 21 buck.jpg

Diablo54

Outside
Greg. If I had a fixed blade head and a fast bow set up like most of you I would tae the yellow dot. I would be afraid of losing blood diue to only 1 hole though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I haven't taken one, need a better bow and more practice. that being said I don't think anyone using a mechanical broadhead should ever take a quartering shot. blades won't make it through the shoulder 70% of the time. They can do some damage on a perfect broadside shot, but I've heard of more deer that have been lost by people using rage broadheads. Sorry to bring up the broadhead topic again, I know we have gone over it before. No taken quartering shots for me at this time.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
If I was in a tree, I wouldnt take that shot, on the ground though....I'd send one where the yellow dot is and hope my broadhead does as much damage as it can ripping though the body cavity...

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
http://www.shotplacement.com/

This is an article I read when I first started hunting and knew nothing.
They say the quartering-to is a no-no for archers, ok for gun hunters.
I obviously disregarded.

I think this article has some merit, but what Jack says about "seeing the exit" is the way to go I think

Kaiser878

ohio
THe doe I shot the other night was quartering to me! I shot her with my maxxis at 72lb, shooting a 2 blade rage with an arrow that is only 391 grains. It actually hit her leg bone and broke it in half and pushed into the opp rib cage just inside the diaphragm. Mind you this wasnt a very long shot, but still, it broke it in half. I dont usually take these shotsa, but I figured hey, whats the worst that could happen. It actually cut the top of her heart off!

Schu72

Streetsboro
I shot 3 does this year with my iceman, 67lbs@29 in. ICS hunter 340s with 100 grain rocky mountain assassins. All three deer were within 25 yards. Two of them were quartering TOO, both ended up being single lung hits and they both died within view of my stand. The third deer was quartering away. I have not shared this until now, but I lost this deer. It was a textbook set up 20 yards, head down feeding. So, I had two quartering TOO kills and a deer lost on a quartering away shot.:smiley_confused_sch:smiley_armscrossed::smiley_confused_vra