Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

R.I.P. Johnny Hockey

Isaacorps

Columbus
Gone way too soon and for no good reason. Such a tragedy 😔

1725052999015.jpeg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve played ice hockey at the same arena that he played at in high school. He grew up about 30 minutes from where I live. I didn’t know him personally but the incident is all over the local news. Apparently he and his brother were riding bicycles and two cars pulled to the left to give them room as they passed and a drunk asshole illegally passed on the right and ran them over. Same guy was charged with DUI in South Carolina I believe and got away with it because the officer didn’t show up in court. The brothers were to be groomsmen in their sisters wedding that was supposed to happen saturday….instead they’re making funeral arrangements. There is absolutely NO excuse for drunk driving. Dude could’ve called an Uber. They were also saying on the news that John would donate his time to charitable events and wouldn’t rush to get out afterwards….he would spend time with the people and stay for as long as it took. The community is going to be hurting for a long time.

Isaacorps

Columbus
I’ve played ice hockey at the same arena that he played at in high school. He grew up about 30 minutes from where I live. I didn’t know him personally but the incident is all over the local news. Apparently he and his brother were riding bicycles and two cars pulled to the left to give them room as they passed and a drunk asshole illegally passed on the right and ran them over. Same guy was charged with DUI in South Carolina I believe and got away with it because the officer didn’t show up in court. The brothers were to be groomsmen in their sisters wedding that was supposed to happen today….instead they’re making funeral arrangements. There is absolutely NO excuse for drunk driving. Dude could’ve called an Uber. They were also saying on the news that John would donate his time to charitable events and wouldn’t rush to get out afterwards….he would spend time with the people and stay for as long as it took. The community is going to be hurting for a long time.
A genuinely down to earth humble guy. 2 kids under 3 years old and a young wife. Arguably the highest profile free agent 2 years ago and he turned down more money from a lot of clubs including his hometown Devils/Flyers to come to CBJ. He wanted to be here and that means a lot in this community. Thanks for the memories Johnny 🏒🥅😞

Reactions: Sgt Fury