Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Raccoon trapping bait

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I prefer a heavy pipe. Great stress reliever 😂
368B1741-6367-466D-A0B2-E9816D233B71.gif

I prefer a heavy pipe. Great stress reliever 😂
I'm thinking about getting back into a little bit of coon trapping to thin out the herd. 🤔
I use to set a #2 double spring with tin foil on the peddle, then set it in some water. They'd slap their hand in it every time. However, this was about 40 years ago, but I'm sure it would work the same today.
I have a knotty pine walking stick, that I used to club the coons in the head to kill them....or so I thought. :ROFLMAO: I put the smack down on a 21# coon and probably looked like a MLB player (multiple swings). It wasn't enough. :rolleyes: I decided against that "technique" for killing and went with a 22 pistol. (y)

I was out at the NTA convention and seen some DP traps, for the first time. These traps look like they'd get the job done with a few mini marshmellows.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The one came in a kit with the setting tool and a cover and some bait that looked like dry cat food. It didn't do anything for the week or so I had it out there. The cut up hot dog was working good until the really cold weather hit. I guess I'm gonna find some mini marshmallows.

Also, when you dispatch the raccoon, do they always act like they are having a seizure when you pop them in the head with 22LR?
Yup, as I’ve been told. Lol

Stressless

Keene, OH
One thing I do at camp, which is so fun, whenever I wake at night I'll check my IR cam... I get a lil kick when something like this pops up.
52357.jpeg

I go get the .22mag loaded with HV 34gr 2200'/sec rounds. Tube mag holds 13 rounds. Well, get the gun and my tactical 1000 lumin flashlight and pad out to the deck, usually blacker than a witches heart but get a good rest, pop the light on, they just look up, two bright dots, line the 2-7x Leopold reticle right between them and go to work... working that bolt like a boss.

Angle and range are perfect.
... brings a smile just thinking about it. :devilish:

... oh and the cam records.