Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rain Gear

rrr

Other than a standard camo poncho, I currently don't own any rain gear and want to look into it- not that I like hunting in the rain, but with such few chances to hunt, I try to make the most of it even if they weather isn't ideal.

Suggestions? I'd like to keep it on the not-so-expensive side, but with my birthday and Christmas around the corner, that's nice too.

Something else I'm wondering about is the sizing - do you order a size up since it's uninsulated to wear over everything else?

Thanks

Capt

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bought a set up Frogg Toggs at Dick's a few years ago and I've had great luck with them. The jacket and pants were only about 50 or 55 bucks I think. I like them because I use them for everything, not just hunting... they are breathable, so when I'm fishing in the summer and it starts to rain, I don't sweat like a whore in church.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I have the Bass Pro Squaltex Uninsulated Bibs and Parka. I bought them 4 years ago when they phased out the Hardwoods Green for 50% off. They've been good to me. I also have the waterproof Whitewater Outdoors reversible fleece parka and bibs. They are great in cold weather.

Actually headed home now to shower and get the rain hear on. I'm gonna scout instead of hunt. Perfect night for it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
dicks has the frog togs on sale right now for $60. pants and jacket w/ hood in realtree APG. only drawback I saw was they dont have pockets in the jacket.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I have the Bass Pro Squaltex Uninsulated Bibs and Parka. I bought them 4 years ago when they phased out the Hardwoods Green for 50% off. They've been good to me. I also have the waterproof Whitewater Outdoors reversible fleece parka and bibs. They are great in cold weather.

Actually headed home now to shower and get the rain hear on. I'm gonna scout instead of hunt. Perfect night for it.

I've got the basspro squaltex also. 'when I got 'em home I put them on with my rubber boots and got the hose out and made the wife hose me down for 5 mins. She had a blast and I was dry as a bone. Only thing I don't like about 'em it the clasp on the bibs...big clunky plastic things that are dead in the middle of the shoulder and interfere with pulling a gun or crossbow stock into your shoulder. I leave the right clasp undone.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Are the frog toggs loud? They seem kinda like paper... not intentionally hijacking, just didn't think it was worth a new thread. I'm looking for good rain gear suggestions myself...Thanks for the thread Ernie.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I bought a set of bibs and a coat from Miejers last year. They are both water proof and the jacket has a removable winter liner for the early season. This allows me to hunt through any type of weather.

rrr

I've looked at Cabela's, Dick's, Dunaham's, Gander, Bass Pro, and Wing Supply today...looks like there is either cheap or expensive and not a lot in between. Cabela's has a two-piece set made by Coleman that I might pick up soon for like $25 I think, if it's crap at least it's from Cabela's and can get returned with no questions asked. Found lots of Frogg Toggs but none in camo...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In regards to the Frogtogs: Do you think they could be painted? I have some that is light tan. I was considering getting some spray paint and painting them just to break up the outline. I don't know much about how they work in regards to water proofing, but didn't want to ruin them. Also didn't want to not be able to use them.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I don't own the frogtogs but have heard good things about them from some of my Erie buddies. If they are loud or the wrong color, buy a cheap oversized sweatshirt and pants on sale at Walmart and put them over your Togs. Are you guys spoiled or just stupid?? Improvise, adapt, and overcome!! I wore bread bags on my feets on rainy days untill I was like 18 and had a job. Raingear was a poncho under oversized shit I could beg, borrow, or steal.

P.S. I have Cabela's "dryplus" rain shit and I still get wet. If you are bowhunting you need your ears, so no hood. The moisture wicks up your arms an any raingear if its cold enough to wear layers. Get fucking wet and quit being a buncha pussies!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
no ernie...think about it this way...if it rains it will most likely be warmer so you can have lighter clothes on underneath. If you don't get your underclothes soaked you will most likey be toasty...

rrr

I ended up picking up a Stearns quilted jacket from Wing Supply. Hood, two pockets, button snaps, $10. Seems like it might be a little loud but should be good (ya get what you pay for!)