Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rangefinder?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've just always ranged things at my eye-level. I don't suppose that will work if I ever go on a sheep hunt...but that ain't ever happening. :)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've just always ranged things at my eye-level. I don't suppose that will work if I ever go on a sheep hunt...but that ain't ever happening. :)

That's actually how I do it with my eyes. I look out away from my tree and pick trees that appear to be 20 yds straight out from my eyes. Then estimating the difference is pretty easy.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's actually how I do it with my eyes. I look out away from my tree and pick trees that appear to be 20 yds straight out from my eyes. Then estimating the difference is pretty easy.

What difference? If a tree is 20 yards from you at eye-level, you simply shoot 20 yards if a deer is at the base of it regardless of angle. Or, did you mean the deer is standing an estimated 5 yards beyond the base of the tree sort of thing?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I guess I should add that I use mine religiously. I hunt over a lot of big fields. Three of my best deer were shot at just over 40 yards. I'd be a lot less effective without my rangefinder.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What difference? If a tree is 20 yards from you at eye-level, you simply shoot 20 yards if a deer is at the base of it regardless of angle. Or, did you mean the deer is standing an estimated 5 yards beyond the base of the tree sort of thing?

This ^^^

It's also how I estimate for shooting 3d as well. It's easy to burn the image of a familiar yardage into your head... Then all that's left to do is estimate how much closer or how much farther the target is from that distance.

Huckleberry Finn

Anybody used the Leica 1000?

Sorry about the thread hijack....

I have a Willy's special...Bushnell I think it is? Does me good...adds a little confidence, but I always guestimate in my head and then check...keeps me entertained and works on the skill so that I don't have to 100% rely upon int.