Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rattling

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
JFYI, my bro rattled in a 120ish 8 point Fri. am at 9:00. He came in on a string looking for the fight. He had a clear 35 yard shot but passed due to holding out for a more mature one. His sequence wasn't too aggressive but short and more sparring like. Ya'll might try it alittle if things are alittle slow. Just a thought. Goodluck!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would think it is a bit early. However, from all the pictures I have had of bucks sparring this year on trail cam pics, I am not so sure it is. This year seems just a bit different already. I think it is really just the woods I am hunting though. Probably 8-10 regular bucks and 4-6 does/fawns on camera most of the summer. With a ratio like this, a little rattling might work in my woods. Still going to hold back on the education lessons if I can help it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have pics of bucks sparring every night, and I've witnessed it a few times already. Nothing serious, but they are hitting the horns together hard enough to be heard from 200y away. Hopefully it cools off come next weekend, and if it does, i'm gonna try some light rattling just to see what happens.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Rattled in a nice 10 pt today. Young but a beauty. Guessing mid teens maybe 120 but don't think so. There was another I could hear but never saw him. Ended up getting busted trying to video him. Got greedy wanting a vid and that was dumb. Just educated one or maybe two.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I rattled in a 135 inch 8 tonight. Did a real easy rattle, a rattle that would sound like two small bucks playing around and he came right to me. Now why can't that big SOB do that???