Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ready to kill whitetails

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I'm not all that excited yet, but I did see a bachelor group of 5 bucks this morning running behind the house. Maybe once a shooter buck or 2 is located I will get going. Probably pull the SD cards in a few days and see what is on them. I'm just not into it like normal yet.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Its all I can think about!!!!!!!!!! Not an hour goes by that I'm not thinking of something to do with bowhunting! its like a little kid waiting on Christmas!! lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not all that excited yet, but I did see a bachelor group of 5 bucks this morning running behind the house. Maybe once a shooter buck or 2 is located I will get going. Probably pull the SD cards in a few days and see what is on them. I'm just not into it like normal yet.

It will get there Gern. If not, then I can appreciate why. Maybe this is the year for you to enjoy watching the little man develop into more of a hunter? Nah. You can enjoy hunting the big boys AND watch him kill one too. After all, you did it last year. hahahahahaha Best of luck no matter how your season unfolds.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
About the only time I don't think about bowhunting is right after the season closes (since I'm icefishing) and the first few weeks of Spring Turkey season. Right now, I'm really chomping at the bit to be out in the woods. It really doesn't help that Cabelas and Bass Pro are sending me fuggin catalogs every other day either!!! LOL It sucks that I live an hour away from where I hunt, but at the same time, it's probably a blessing in disquise. If I lived there, it's all I would do 24/7/365... and I doubt the wife would appreciate that. lmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
About the only time I don't think about bowhunting is right after the season closes (since I'm icefishing) and the first few weeks of Spring Turkey season. Right now, I'm really chomping at the bit to be out in the woods. It really doesn't help that Cabelas and Bass Pro are sending me fuggin catalogs every other day either!!! LOL It sucks that I live an hour away from where I hunt, but at the same time, it's probably a blessing in disquise. If I lived there, it's all I would do 24/7/365... and I doubt the wife would appreciate that. lmao

Mine is starting to have an issue with me going out every evening glassing fields and spending hours on the weekends walking, checking cams, and hunting groundhogs lol. Yeah, It's a blessing your that far away from your stomping grounds lmao.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I havent even thought about deer hunting yet...I dont even know where my bow is....

LIES....all of it lmao. If I had to guess you have had cams out and checked them looking for that 140+ buck already lol.

Ya know, if you would stop chasing the other whitetail you might start thinking about deer hunting HA.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yeah, the wife and kids are tired of the drive home taking an extra 20min whenever we are heading home around dusk. I know I have been out scouting from the road 3 of the last 4 days. Getting to be that time to scout nearly every night.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
They are cutting hay on our field behind the house, and the one down the road, so it will be time to get out and watch those fields very soon. Got a guy just down the road that has beans planted. He is a deer hunter, but I am hoping he will let me do some filming over his fields next month, and possibly even bow hunt. Only time will tell...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Buddy of mine that hunts the property that neighbors my main section, called me this morning and said he seen a group of 5 bucks this morning heading for the land I hunt. He said one was a wide 10 or 12 and another was a big 8. It's starting to heat up!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Got at least one new peoperty that I have never hunted before for this season. Just hung a camera there last week. Very excited about the potential this place has to offer, plus it is only 5 minutes from home. :pickle:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got at least one new peoperty that I have never hunted before for this season. Just hung a camera there last week. Very excited about the potential this place has to offer, plus it is only 5 minutes from home. :pickle:

Awesome Steve! That is always nice when it is close to home and good potential!

Pretty sweet deal for you too Drake. If only you knew all five bucks would stay in the area it would be even better. I often wonder about bachelor groups and just how far apart they separate once the velvet is peeling.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Pretty sweet deal for you too Drake. If only you knew all five bucks would stay in the area it would be even better. I often wonder about bachelor groups and just how far apart they separate once the velvet is peeling.

I went a different direction this year, I know all the guys that surround the properties that I hunt and they all run cams and walk the crap outta their property all the time. My goal was to stay out until August, not even putting a cam in yet, and let them pressure those bachelor groups off their properties and onto the one I hunt, then go in with minerals/corn/cams in August and hope to keep some good deer the property that might not have stayed there before.

That is really just my excuse for having zero time to get in the woods with all the crap I have going on right now, but that reasoning has helped me not to go insane!! :smiley_crocodile:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I went a different direction this year, I know all the guys that surround the properties that I hunt and they all run cams and walk the crap outta their property all the time. My goal was to stay out until August, not even putting a cam in yet, and let them pressure those bachelor groups off their properties and onto the one I hunt, then go in with minerals/corn/cams in August and hope to keep some good deer the property that might not have stayed there before.

That is really just my excuse for having zero time to get in the woods with all the crap I have going on right now, but that reasoning has helped me not to go insane!! :smiley_crocodile:

Right now if you're not being too aggressive it doesn't matter much.. In about a month i will go smoked up and in the middle of the day..

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Just got off the phone with the guy that seen deer this morning, he said they were walking back to the section to put cams up and seen a piebald doe, we had seen it 2 years ago, but not once last year.

As soon as the SpyPoint gets in I will be hanging all three of my cams.

Family cookout this weekend for my mom and dads 25th so we have been busy with housework/yardwork. After this weekend it's on for me!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I'm ready to get some stuff going thats for sure, but my main property seems dead. I went out scouting the fields and we saw a deer in just about every field except mine...was pretty dissapointed

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Right now if you're not being too aggressive it doesn't matter much.. In about a month i will go smoked up and in the middle of the day..

I agree, man. Hell, the other day when I was checkin the cam and looking for good trees, I was in shorts, a tshirt, tennis shoes, and sweating like a whore in church. I don't think the deer mind all that much right now. And even if they do get a bit spooked, their patterns are going to be changing soon anyhow. Next month, out comes the smoker.