Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reloading fun day

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I worked on the 9MM full auto today with 164 gr bullets. Fun day and education to boot.
Full auto is no problem but put that damn silencer on and all bets are off. Finally got the silencer to work 100% but not in full auto. It will function 100% as a single shot silenced. He is glad to have that as nothing he has tried would function with the silencer.
The ball buster is the pistol is built as full only and no select fire. But it sure is select fire now with the silencer. He took that.
I'll tell him about the piston or nielson device.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nielsen devise already installed and it doesn't help a bit. Cost 100.00 extra.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Could it be a recoil spring issue? With the excess gases pushing the slide back do you think a stronger spring could solve it.

Not really. The heavy silencer hanging off the end of the Glock tilting barrel just throws the cycle off. With the silencer on the pistol fires, ejects and chambers OK just won't go full into auto mode and just fires in single mode. He has another silencer for it so will try again. It seems it's just the nature of the beast with Glocks.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I did some experimenting with 357 mag loads in the last 2 days. New powder, mag primers vs standard primers. Load some of each type then set up the chronograph to check the speed. It took several hours and was a fun time. My original thought on today's magnum primers and standard primers held up exactly as to what I always said. With today's high standard of primer production there is no difference in the 2 primer types. This was not true 15-25 yrs ago. With the quality of primers today there is no need for magnum primers even with hard burning powders like Win 296 and H 110.
20-25 yrs ago magnum primers was necessary to make some powders like Win 296 & H 110 to burn correctly. But even at that time my friend Dale and fellow experimenter proved regular Federal primers was just as good or better than magnum primers. So we always used Federal standard primers in magnum loads with Win 296 or H 110.
I even experimented with a commercial primer from Chec Republic against Winchester standard primers in a full hunting load in the 44 mag at 1400 FPS with a 240 gr lead bullet, with Win 296 powder and the results showed there was no difference in FPS. I was surprised at the quality and results.
Just a fun time experimenting and getting paid to.

So Frank here's a question for you - I inadvertently bought a box of small pistol magnum primers instead of standard. (shoulda had my reading glasses with me).
I haven't used them because I've always read "follow the recipe". I've got loads now that I like for my .357 and .40s&w that use standard primers - if I were to use the magnums up 1) would it be safe? and 2) would it throw off my load's performance?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
So Frank here's a question for you - I inadvertently bought a box of small pistol magnum primers instead of standard. (shoulda had my reading glasses with me).
I haven't used them because I've always read "follow the recipe". I've got loads now that I like for my .357 and .40s&w that use standard primers - if I were to use the magnums up 1) would it be safe? and 2) would it throw off my load's performance?

You know I can't give advise like that.
Use magnum primers with magnum loads.
Would it make a difference in 40 S&W? Without pressure equipment you would never know because pistol don't have enough pressure to show too much pressure. If you see flatten primers or signs of high pressure you are way beyond the case design.
But it be me I would load 357 mag with them. In the old days -15-25 yrs ago- primers weren't of the high quality they are today. IMHO magnum primers were developed for hard burning powders like Win 296 and H 110. 25-30 years ago Federal primers were the best and we proved it with chonograph work with Win 296 and regular primers in full magnum loads in 44 mag.
I know of a ammo company that tried to use magnum primers to boost pressure for increased function in auto pistols. I told them it wouldn't work and it didn't make a difference.

But on the other hand seat a 9MM bullet .100 deeper and pressure will rise in to no man's land.

Last edited: