Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Relocation suggestions for NW/Port Clinton area of OH...

K31

NW PA
Well, actually I did live in UT for three years (1993-96)... It was VERY nice in many ways, and not so great in others. Since I love to shoot, it was paradise... Crank out a few hundred rounds on the Dillon 550, head out to the desert and enjoy the freedom and solitude. Get up above the trees for a hunt/camp, and the silence and peace is absolutely glorious, and deafening... Only way you knew other humans were on the planet was when a plane flew over, and the night sky will leave you struck with awe and wonder. The vibe is very different than the Midwest/NE/South, all of which I have lived in.

I have been considering the West in some form or fashion, but it was expensive when I first lived there, and it is absolutely insane now. Politics now are different too, and water issues seem to be increasing. I could swing it $$$ wise in some fashion, but now just being me, it seems like such a huge undertaking- I'm not sure why exactly I feel this way. Lack of humidity was a godsend, but believe it or not, I got sick of the constant sunshine... Sounds weird to some, but sun up to sun down cloudless blue skies I found draining, especially since there were no trees to seek shade, only endless miles of sagebrush outside of developed areas. The huge amount of snow we got was so much lighter than the snow of the Midwest/NE, which was fascinating.

I got along pretty much OK with the Mormon/Latter Day Saints folks I worked with/interacted with, but there was always a feeling to me of you will never truly belong/your kids being accepted. Even little things like your wife laying in the sun in a two pc swim suit with a jug of sun tea brewing in your yard, kinda got under their skin. I'm sure not all areas are like this, as I was in Provo/Orem, home of BYU.

Utah/much of the west is absolutely stunning, and it does have a certain draw, pull for folks like me and you... Maybe someday, but for now I'm gonna keep investigating Northern OH, and see what shakes out. Thanks for all of your replies, and thoughts.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well, actually I did live in UT for three years (1993-96)... It was VERY nice in many ways, and not so great in others. Since I love to shoot, it was paradise... Crank out a few hundred rounds on the Dillon 550, head out to the desert and enjoy the freedom and solitude. Get up above the trees for a hunt/camp, and the silence and peace is absolutely glorious, and deafening... Only way you knew other humans were on the planet was when a plane flew over, and the night sky will leave you struck with awe and wonder. The vibe is very different than the Midwest/NE/South, all of which I have lived in.

I have been considering the West in some form or fashion, but it was expensive when I first lived there, and it is absolutely insane now. Politics now are different too, and water issues seem to be increasing. I could swing it $$$ wise in some fashion, but now just being me, it seems like such a huge undertaking- I'm not sure why exactly I feel this way. Lack of humidity was a godsend, but believe it or not, I got sick of the constant sunshine... Sounds weird to some, but sun up to sun down cloudless blue skies I found draining, especially since there were no trees to seek shade, only endless miles of sagebrush outside of developed areas. The huge amount of snow we got was so much lighter than the snow of the Midwest/NE, which was fascinating.

I got along pretty much OK with the Mormon/Latter Day Saints folks I worked with/interacted with, but there was always a feeling to me of you will never truly belong/your kids being accepted. Even little things like your wife laying in the sun in a two pc swim suit with a jug of sun tea brewing in your yard, kinda got under their skin. I'm sure not all areas are like this, as I was in Provo/Orem, home of BYU.

Utah/much of the west is absolutely stunning, and it does have a certain draw, pull for folks like me and you... Maybe someday, but for now I'm gonna keep investigating Northern OH, and see what shakes out. Thanks for all of your replies, and thoughts.

Thanks for sharing your experience in Utah. Two of the most awe inspiring moments in my life happened in Utah.

One evening I found myself on antelope island in the salt lake and stumbled upon a guy who did horse rentals. I stopped in and inquired about rentals and he explained that they were tours and he was closing up for the day. He said if I helped put the horses away we'd take a ride up the mountain. We kept two horses in the corral and I helped him feed, water, brush and put away tack on all the others. By the time we left it was a couple hours before dark and we set out on a path up the mountain. As we crested the top there before us was a large valley on the other side of the mountain with the top of the ridge catching the sunset. Down below in the valley was about 150 head of wild buffalo. As I sat there on this paint pony leaned up arms resting on the saddle horn and looking at these buffalo I wondered if this is what the pioneers must have felt like 180 years ago cresting a ridge and overlooking a valley below filled with little black dots of buffalo.

The other was a buddy and I were just out driving around in the middle of the night up north and drove up to the top of a mountain. I got him to pull the car over so I could piss. As I was doing so on the side of the road I happened to look up. I yelled at him to cut the car off and get out. There before me was the most awe inspiring view of the night sky I have ever seen. You just can't explain to people how many stars there actually are. And you can see depth, not just a flat sky. Even the band of the milkyway was clearly visible like a trail of star covered dust. You can't put it in to words.

Bigcountry40

I grew up in the same area as Jagermeister and 5cent, deer hunting can be extremely challenging, for what you are looking for I would look outside of Fremont and Oak Harbor.