Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington 700 problems

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I just happened to hear a little bit of the story on the TV the other day about Remington 700's having an issue with unintentionally firing off a round. According to the report and the documents they received from the Marines Sniper School they had this issue show up during training and the Marines are thinking of doing away with the 700's because of this issue saying it's UNSAFE. The gun would just launch a round all by it's self after an avg. of just 20 rounds fired on the range.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39762676/ns/business-cnbc_tv/

" The Remington Model 700-series rifle - with more than 5 million sold - is one of the world’s most popular firearms. Famous for its accuracy, the rifle is now the target of a series of lawsuits claiming that it is unsafe and susceptible to firing without pulling the trigger."

" The documents reveal that on at least two occasions, the company considered – and then decided against – a modification of the original trigger design intended to eliminate inadvertent discharges. One of those proposed fixes would have cost Remington 5.5 cents per gun, according to the company’s own calculations. "

" To date, more than 75 lawsuits have been filed against Remington alleging safety problems with its 700-series rifle."

[video=youtube;1MAcHvSPZZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAcHvSPZZo[/video]

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
This was a big deal on some boards a few months ago. The issue was pretty uncommon but is the lawsuit an internal Remington document that showed that Remington knew of the problem back in the 60's iirc. The fix was relatively simple and Remington finally did change the triggers a few years ago.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm sure every firearm manufacturer has skeletons in the closet but you would have thought they would have fixed this issue a lot sooner then they did. Nothing like playing Russian roulette with a bolt action HP rifle I guess.

Not only does it make the manufacturer look bad but it also casts a bad light on shooting sports and hunting as well. For Remington this is going to be a sink or swim moment and not much fun treading water to see if your tossed a flotation device or a bolder. Bottom line is...They should have fixed it long ago.

rrr

I think that this is old news...and the liberal press made a big stink about it.