Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington 870 Express Mag scope options

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Here's another option:
Do nothing.

Use your muzzy for long-range deer hunting. Use the shotgun with no scope for close in work.

(you know what to do....now we're just fuggin with ya.......)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes, I am a tightwad. Yes, Dan is a master wordsmith. Yes, there are some good points here. Now the other side of the story:

I killed my first deer with this gun. Enough said. It ain't going buh-bye. I normally carry my muzzle loader. Just wanted to make it available as an option, thus the reasoning. I don't WANT to buy another gun. Trying to thin the herd. In regards to a specific "slug gun", ironically, this is designed for slug use only. If I wanted to use it for other hunting I would have to buy a different barrel. Why on earth Remington didn't set these up to have a scope mounted from the factory is beyond me. Then again, this Remington pales in comparison to the Remington Wingmaster from the 70's I keep hidden away for special occasions. Maybe this explains the reason as to why I am considering this option. If you guys don't understand sentimental value in a gun. . . .I am done typing. :smiley_crocodile:

Dan- I do have a Mossberg 500 as well. Grand Slam Turkey Special. Called my first turkey in with this gun in my hand last spring. Squeezed the trigger. It went "click". Screw that thing. Never had anything against them prior. Just not a real strong faith in the Mossberg right now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Actually just use a rifle.

There ya go! You problem solver. ha

Be nice until I got caught. You know it is the ones who play by the rules who get caught, right? Never the poachers or vigilantes. Always the one the tries something just once.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Why would you want to modify the gun you killed your first deer with? :smiley_chinrub:
You gotta think about the future generations, and the Phil Hicks Memorial Deer Frustration Museum - don't wanna spoil one of their keynote displays.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you still have the bow you killed your first deer with????

Yes. Been using it while my new one is awaiting repairs.

Dan- screw those kids. They are already spoiled. This gun will never hold much more than sentimental value. Would love to add some more notches to its belt before I pass it down all beaten and tattered. Haha. You still grumpy or just enjoying screwing with me? Lol

Are you sitting in a stand or hunting on deer drive. If you are driving stay with those irons. If you want a scope on your 870 for the treestand try to find a used cantilever barrel at a gun show. There are usually lots of 870 barrels at gun shows.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Personally I prefer a low power scope for all aspects of deer gun . Thats why I use a 1.5x4 scope . Running or standing they're in trouble
If you got dough Just buy a h&r or nef single shot slug gun....in a 20 gauge ....bad little deer killer scoped .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes.
:smiley_crocodile:

I'll give ya $50 for that Mossberg :smiley_coolpeace:

Wish you lived closer. I could use a foster uncle. You crack me up!

Tom- Bit of both. I generally never have my MZL scope over 4x so I am thinking a 2-7x would be nice on the shotgun.

Wish it were as easy as just buying another gun. Just can't spend anymore money on extras right now. Too many irons in the fire. My life is a crazy juggling act. Feel like my checkbook is bipolar. It is either hot or cold. When it is hot, it doesn't stay that way long. Friggin' thing swings from high to low in a moments notice. Usually hangs around 1/4 tank and I keep expecting the "fuel up the checkbook" light to pop on every day. :smiley_crocodile:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Ill give you a full on saddle review this Sunday Phil. I'm going to put a new scope on an already saddle mounted 1100. Going to sight it in on Sunday and see where it goes from there. If all else I have my trusty brush gun and my long range muzzy. Just would be nice to have 3 shells while hunting rather than a one and done.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ill give you a full on saddle review this Sunday Phil. I'm going to put a new scope on an already saddle mounted 1100. Going to sight it in on Sunday and see where it goes from there. If all else I have my trusty brush gun and my long range muzzy. Just would be nice to have 3 shells while hunting rather than a one and done.

Nice! Is this one of the newer varieties Zach?

I went through the same thing a while back and was looking at buying a cantilever barrel because everyone I talked to said not to waste the money on a saddle and the idea of mounting a scope directly to the shotgun wasn't something I was willing to do because I still use it for small game and trap shooting now and then. When I saw how much those were running I ended up buying a Mossberg 695 bolt action w/ fully rifled bore for around the same price as the single barrel. It's a tank of a gun but boy does it shoot accurately!! Best choice I made yet when it comes to guns.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In 1980 I got a new Rem. 1100 shotgun with a smooth slug barrel. Before I even shot it I had it D&T'd for a Weaver side mount. I has served me well these 33 yrs. Grandson used it today for Youth Season.
In 1980 the only saddle mount was the type the mounted on one side of the receiver by using the trigger pin holes. They didn't work for accuracy. The new saddle types that mount on both sides of the receiver I'm told work pretty good as long as you don't tighten the attachment bolts too tight and squeeze the action together.
To me a non-collectable Rem 870 shotgun is just a tool to use and enjoy. So I would D&T'd the Rem. 870 in a second to make it a better tool to use and enjoy. Hell Rem. made millions of the 870's. But I did sell a Rem. 870 for over 700.00 this year but it was a highly collectable 1st year production. Even at that it was still just a tool but some fool collector wanted it worse than I did so it was sold.
Phil I hope this helps making up your mind. If you don't need it before 2103 hunting season make up a Wanted to Buy sign and put it on my Lima gunshow table and someone will bring a scoped barrel in for your Rem. 870.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Appreciate the offer Frank. I don't honestly "need it" before the 2013 season. Heck, could continue to use it as it is for the season. Might just take you up on your offer.

Lundy

Hickslawn,

Did you ever purchase a 870 scope mount?

Guy on another site, that I am involved with, has a B Square mount for sale $30 I think, plus he has a barrel and stock, etc.

Let me know and I get you a link