Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut Theory

epe

Lancaster
If it was a nightime rut, we would be seeing a lot of bucks dead along the roadside still. That's not happening yet...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Interesting theory Jesse but I'm wondering and hoping that CA's prediction of a late rut being the reason why I haven't seen much going on so far this season. I found another fresh scrape last night so it appears things are finally starting to pick up but the lack of TC pics even at night is was perplexes me the most.

I can see where your theory might be more true in areas of heavy hunting pressure.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've yet to see a good chase.

Youth gun weekend could he really good for the kiddos.

I can't remember the year but I'm guessing 20"9 or 2010, youth gun weekend I had crazy rut action. Had several different bucks chasing. That year I shot a buck during gun that was grunting behind doe. I'm thinking it was 2009.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I have a different theory about the rut. I think hunters expectations of what the rut is all about is inaccurate. The rut isn't about frantic chaos in the woods every day. You're not going to see bucks running does all day long. It's not like that all the time. I think chasing and competing for a hot doe is a small percentage of the rut. I think the vast majority of it is mature doe and mature bucks sneaking off to isolation and breeding undisturbed. This happens every year. We approach mid November and hear hunters complain of missing the rut. If you are hunting in October and November than you're not missing it. If typical rut like behavior isn't being observed then maybe hunting pressure, buck-to-doe ratio or other environmental or weather conditions are at play. I do chuckle at comments about gay bucks and hunting the "lesbian lagoon". Lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
f typical rut like behavior isn't being observed then maybe hunting pressure, buck-to-doe ratio or other environmental or weather conditions are at play.

I think there are several factors that play in to a less than "typical" rut, including our own expectations. However I spent a shit ton of time in the woods every November, as do dozens of us here and I have never seen more than one day per year of legit rut activity since 2003. IMO, the dwindling deer numbers is compounding the issue of bad ruts. Weather, moon, and hunting pressure also contribute to things. I believe the increased hunting pressure that generations of deer have felt since the rise in archery hunting is teaching them things. Deer look up now. Very few deer respond to calling my area. Both of those are learned behavior. If you can kill out the gobble in turkeys, which is founded in truth, you can easily do the same with whitetails who respond to calls, cruise for ass in the daylight, or any other behavior that allows people to capitalize on a big scale. I don't see this as being a blanket issue, but for certain areas of the state I see it as a real possibility. With our proximity to WV here in Washington County, not to mention PA is not that far away, there are TONS of hunters in the woods right now looking to kill a big buck. Everyone and their brother is a bow hunter in November and that is having an effect on the rut IMO, regardless of how wide spread or significant.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I think there are several factors that play in to a less than "typical" rut, including our own expectations. However I spent a shit ton of time in the woods every November, as do dozens of us here and I have never seen more than one day per year of legit rut activity since 2003. IMO, the dwindling deer numbers is compounding the issue of bad ruts. Weather, moon, and hunting pressure also contribute to things. I believe the increased hunting pressure that generations of deer have felt since the rise in archery hunting is teaching them things. Deer look up now. Very few deer respond to calling my area. Both of those are learned behavior. If you can kill out the gobble in turkeys, which is founded in truth, you can easily do the same with whitetails who respond to calls, cruise for ass in the daylight, or any other behavior that allows people to capitalize on a big scale. I don't see this as being a blanket issue, but for certain areas of the state I see it as a real possibility. With our proximity to WV here in Washington County, not to mention PA is not that far away, there are TONS of hunters in the woods right now looking to kill a big buck. Everyone and their brother is a bow hunter in November and that is having an effect on the rut IMO, regardless of how wide spread or significant.

I agree with a lot of that. The herd getting knocked back is a big part of it too. Less doe in the woods means less doe in heat at the same time. Also, likely less mature bucks out there. How much competition does a big buck have today compared to 2009, 2003 or 1999. There was a time when I felt like I was hunting "the good ole days" but I feel we're past that now.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I had 5 bucks come through this morning at 20 yards to look for the bucks fighting. The best morning sit all season for me. The next couple days should be great....