Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut Timing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What's your opinion on the timing of the rut this year? I think I missed it.. I was waiting for the moon to align with Alpha Centauri and a key barometric pressure shift on first the day that night lasted longer than day, but I think I missed it? Maybe I can catch the second or third rut, will that happen by this weekend, because times getting short?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The best seeking was Oct 17-24, IMO. I missed it too. I didn’t get in the woods much until Oct 27 or so. I went nearly every day, never did see deer covering ground like I often do. IMO they had already done it.

Jamie

Ohio
the best chasing and general rutting activity I saw was from the last week of October thru Veterans Day. I saw a considerable amount of bucks searching for three weeks, but most intense activity was the first 5 or 6 days of November. I grunted a tremendous buck into bow range on November 5. I saw a 2 1/2 4x4 chasing a doe during the week of Gun season, too. My buddy saw a small buck chasing and a couple young bucks sparring last night.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
In Ohio I saw bucks and have pics of seeking bucks the last week of October through the first week of November. Not a full blown bucks chasing does everywhere, but more subdued. Definitely had more bucks on cam those two weeks then the rest of the season combined. Here in Jersey I got a lot of bigger bucks on camera the 3rd week of November...never had pics of them before or after that short window, but they did hang around for 5 or 6 days.