Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Savage and Stevens

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I just found out today that Savage stopped making the Axis formally known as the Edge and in doing so the price has jumped up huge. Almost a $100 more now then they was even a month ago.

I also found out that Stevens ( sister company to Savage ) stopped producing the model 200 line and the prices have jumped about $100 on those models as well.

Seems both companies have done away with all their entry level rifle lines and I'm not sure if it is due to the fact they are getting ready for model changes so dies are being moved around or if they are completely done with the lower end entry level productions.

Just thought I would toss that out there just in case anybody was looking.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Savage started off as a great rifle with an awesome price commonly sold at Wal-mart... In 95 I think i gave $210 bucks for my Savage 110G in 30-06..

Now that the name and reputation is out there they are still producing a great rifle at an ever increasing not so awesome price..

They better watch it though. At the end of the day it's still a Savage, not a Ruger or a Browning and the price better reflect such.. Once I have to spend 450 on a savage I feel i might as well spend the extra 200 on a Ruger.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Very true Joe. It is just a Savage and not one of the bigger names.

I'm hoping it's just the changing of the Dies. Savage runs a line of low end entry level guns for a little while and as soon as the machines start to wear they ship them over to Stevens to start their runs using the old Savage dies.

I know the model 200 Stevens I purchased last year was the same as the Savage modle 110 the only difference was Stevens didn't have the accutrigger and accustock the Savage 110 came with and was a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

The increase I was reffering to was in the private sale sector. Seems they all think just because a company stops making a gun that they can all the sudden increase their sale price $100 and it will sell lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I still haven't had a chance to fire my Savage Edge in 22-250. Maybe it is time to market it? lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Funny, I saw a Fin Feather Fur ad yesterday that has them at $300

Sportsmans Den had the Axis in their flyer but they told me they have had them on order for the past 6 weeks and haven't been able to get them. I then went to a buddy of mine here in town his FFL and had him check his contacts and he was told what I posted in the first post.