Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scrape pic thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had a decent mock scrape going behind the house and they broke the deadfall that was holding the grapevine. I added an oak branch to a nearby tree today and dosed the area/branch/scrape in a variety of high-end scents. Smells like a rave happened there! Hopefully I can contribute the results to this thread. @Spencie is stealing the show right now!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The day before I got my split brow buck back in 2011, Kody and Klay were with me as I was hanging the set. They would've been 10 and 11 at the time. they were pissing all over the place as I was up in the tree... laughing and having a good time. I remember yelling at them about it. The next day ol' split brow came in like clockwork.

This pic reminded me of that. Funny stuff!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Good scrape action happening in my neck of the woods and have been for quite sometime. The number of scrapes have definitely increased however, pretty much over the last few days. I expect to see plenty more pop up over the course of the next few weeks no doubt.

I know that you're aware @Spencie of what I have going on and I hope it's cool with you that I share a tiny tid bit of it within your thread regarding deer scrape pics?

Rather than retying any of my explanations, those that are possibly interested of what I have going on in my area can easily click the following hyperlinks below, which will redirect you to those posts within my hunting journal regarding the pine licking branches that I hung and any pre-rut activity in the area.

I certainly do NOT want to take away from what you or those that have already participated within your thread. Again, I hope it's all good?

If so, I appreciate it, thanks,,, and btw, cool thread!

Reactions: Spencie

Stressless

Keene, OH
Great bucks come from young bucks - Great deer behavior in this one - a Button Buck is all kinds of WTF! with the licking branch and either Auntie or Grandma comes in and gives him the butt shwack - In my mind,

"Quit playing with that our you'll go blind" :ROFLMAO:

But the Bucks and Does are hitting them hard right now...

Stewart marking it the day before and watching for the big boys so he doesn't get his ass kicked...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
382103B4-44AB-4ADE-B816-FC0904802868.jpeg
ACCC86CF-D9AD-4D76-BCB6-4489C1DF8B5E.jpeg
BA3E7699-3410-4539-897B-9D31B1C50C30.jpeg
C47B1684-A1A8-470F-92B8-EB725C3DC1A5.jpeg
A39C26F1-3A2A-45ED-9B66-430B62686174.jpeg
2CC18358-EB43-4057-8446-D225C709D788.jpeg
D62F3226-5748-4213-A351-2F90BE05D655.jpeg
D1DB6579-59FF-4591-B918-D7CDC738048F.jpeg

When were these created / hung ?

The one's by the cabin were put up in early August and utilized right away.
Rope one was put up last summer and was used quite a bit to the point they broke the branch it was hanging from this summer.
The other one on the base of the ridge has been up 3 seasons now. It too was knocked down early this summer.

We have several other grapevines hung near stands now that are being worked over pretty good but just don't have cameras on them all. The one by Allen's ladder stand is at 13 yards and is where he had a dandy standing in the mock scrape the one evening, both their eyes met and he didn't get a shot.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great pics and vids guys!
Mason hung a camera on a series of scrapes a couple days ago. The landowner ran into three guys from Michigan at a gas station yesterday that were hunting paint creek. All three of them were back around those scrapes last night. If our camera is still hanging there, I bet we have some pics of the beginning wave of non resident hunters. Lol

Is it the Bubba Wallace kind of rope or something else. Did u use any kind of attractant?

:ROFLMAO:

No scent this time around since they were up early enough and the deer have been all over them. I've used evercalm on them before and other scents too. Just not this time around. If it's newly put up like now I would go ahead and dab something on it to get their curiosity up. Also piss in the mock scrape. Jesse had some potent scrape butter stuff he had at Strouds that would work great.