Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Selling furs

I am thinking about getting my fur takers permit this year. My question is when selling furs do I have to skin the hide or can I bring in the whole animal. Second are coyote pelts worth anything. I talked to a buyer a couple years ago and he said they were not worth and thing and would not take them even for free.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I am thinking about getting my fur takers permit this year. My question is when selling furs do I have to skin the hide or can I bring in the whole animal. Second are coyote pelts worth anything. I talked to a buyer a couple years ago and he said they were not worth and thing and would not take them even for free.
Coyote ken could probably get you on the right track..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to the forum. I'd say you are going to need to skin them. It is possible there are some places that will take the entire animal, but not real common. I have only heard of guys dropping coyotes off whole.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you're doing it then do it for the enjoyment and management aspects. The fur industry has collapsed. Most raccoons won't sell and only the largest prime furs will fetch maybe 15 bucks. Mink and rats are low also. You can still get a little money out of eastern prime coyotes. 10-15 bucks. But Russia was the largest buyer. Behind them was china. Russia is sanctioned and both of their economies are in the crapper.

You can skin them and send them off to USA fox and fur to have them tanned for yourself, or have something made out of them like a trapper hat, coat, throw etc.

Have fun and post lots of pictures for us. We have plenty of people on here with extensive wrapping experience.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
You will get more money skinned, stretched and dried. To sell whole, you will need to find a local buyer and drop off freshly killed animals. They usually do not want them after they've laid in the back of the truck for 3 or 4 days.

Reactions: hickslawns
I picked up 3 traps yesterday on facebook for 8 dollars I will get them cleaned up.

Attachments

• 277823914_3566126410178061_8400620570821438293_n.png
    277823914_3566126410178061_8400620570821438293_n.png
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 96

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio

Coyotes a bit hit and miss as to whether they have value or not. You could have a $20 coyote in this market or a 50 cent coyote. Having decent fur on a coyote is a big factor, lot of the southern Ohio coyotes are flat and not worth much. Occasionally we get some well furred ones. And they've gotta have all their fur. Any rubs showing and they're basically garbage other than for personal use. Color is the next thing. The market likes the grey/pale colored coyotes. The ones that could be confused for german shepherds(the brown/red/black) coyotes are likewise going to be pretty cheap selling to the fur market. Getting them tanned or selling the off-colored ones to a taxidermist or someone that wants a wall hanger could pay more than what a "good" fur market coyote will bring at a fur sale.

Bringing animals whole these days is a non-starter for most fur buyers. Unless the buyer himself is doing everything, most critters is going to cost him more to have it processed than what its worth on the market. Its been years since I asked this when we had a local buyer but at the time,15 years ago almost, it cost 3 dollars for a buyer to have a raccoon skinned, fleshed, and stretched. I think coyotes were 5 or 10 and beaver was 15. If you look at the market, those prices are more than what they are bringing right now.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Coyotes a bit hit and miss as to whether they have value or not. You could have a $20 coyote in this market or a 50 cent coyote. Having decent fur on a coyote is a big factor, lot of the southern Ohio coyotes are flat and not worth much. Occasionally we get some well furred ones. And they've gotta have all their fur. Any rubs showing and they're basically garbage other than for personal use. Color is the next thing. The market likes the grey/pale colored coyotes. The ones that could be confused for german shepherds(the brown/red/black) coyotes are likewise going to be pretty cheap selling to the fur market. Getting them tanned or selling the off-colored ones to a taxidermist or someone that wants a wall hanger could pay more than what a "good" fur market coyote will bring at a fur sale.

Bringing animals whole these days is a non-starter for most fur buyers. Unless the buyer himself is doing everything, most critters is going to cost him more to have it processed than what its worth on the market. Its been years since I asked this when we had a local buyer but at the time,15 years ago almost, it cost 3 dollars for a buyer to have a raccoon skinned, fleshed, and stretched. I think coyotes were 5 or 10 and beaver was 15. If you look at the market, those prices are more than what they are bringing right now.

Thanks for your insight.

I have made a few calls and found taxidermist seem to pay more. One fur buyer told me he would not take coyotes even for free and would charge me a fee to dispose of the fur.

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
Another thing with coyotes and bringing them in hole .. most guys just don't like skinning them. They skin best when they're still warm. When cold, its like trying to take something apart that was superglued. Hence a lot of guys have skinning machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stressless