Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SevR Expandable Broad heads....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Anyone have any experience with these heads... I'm a Slick Trick fixed head guy, but these look well designed... Might have to give them a try... Good thing is you buy one head at time....

Fletch

Supporting Member
I’m a fan of slick tricks, they haven’t let me down yet and see no reason the change.
Nick I'm on the Slick Trick bandwagon too... Have shot numerous deer with them and a bear and like you said: They have never failed and always open for business... I doubt if I'd switch, but these caught my eye....

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
So I shot the 125 SevR broaheads for two years when I first found out about them. They operated flawlessly in probably eight or ten deer kills. Shot them on my Easton axis 340s with 150 grain inserts and had nothing but good luck with them. Now, hog hunting with them was a horrible experience for me. Broken and chipped blades and multitudes of deflections. I would recommend them for deer hunting though. Pretty devastating holes for what they are.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have a hard time taking a guy serious that sells $15 dollar nock sets and any head that has pivoting blades that don’t lock out on opening should be seriously thrown out

Reactions: jagermeister

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As for the head itself. same blade shape and angle as a rage. They'll likely have the same KE robbing issue that rage does due to blade angle. And the same old glancing angle problem that all front open heads suffer from. If you're shooting a crossbow it may never be a problem. Why risk it though, stick with a good fixed blade that puts every once of KE into killing. I've only ever lost one deer shot with a slick trick and that was shooting the new razortrick, just a nasty shoulder ball hit I guess. I've since gone back to good ole ST mags. I've shot them through the spine, skull, shoulder, and even the femur about an inch below the ball. Tey've never let me down. As with any head though, if you hit them square in the knob of that shoulder ball, all bets are off.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have been shooting rage for several years, and overall been happy with them. With that being said, I have a few of these that a buddy sent me to try, I think he is part of the "pro staff". Anyhow, might try to shoot a doe with one next season and report back, if not - they will be GH heads.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had to call Jim to confirm. His nephew shot for Hoyt and sevr sent him a bunch of the titanium ones, He sent them to Jim as he doesn't shoot mechanicals. Jim shot a spike bull in Az with it, the spike bull still has it in his shoulder.

If it's not evident I am not a huge fan of mechanical broadheads unless they're shot out of a crossbow. Maybe it's my OCD or anxiety, but I like to remove every potential for failure.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I had to call Jim to confirm. His nephew shot for Hoyt and sevr sent him a bunch of the titanium ones, He sent them to Jim as he doesn't shoot mechanicals. Jim shot a spike bull in Az with it, the spike bull still has it in his shoulder.

If it's not evident I am not a huge fan of mechanical broadheads unless they're shot out of a crossbow. Maybe it's my OCD or anxiety, but I like to remove every potential for failure.
Maybe we are cast from the same mold... My feelings are " keep it simple and the less moving parts the better "... If it's mechanical it can and will fail... I hunt an animal and if I do my part I want no room for error... In the video Big Holla posted it appeared that the hunter did not get pass thru's with the head he was using... Each and every Slick Trick that I've sent on its way have always been pass thru's... The Slick Trick I shot the bear with 2 years ago is still buried in the tree he was standing in front of...